DST issue Calendar/Assignments

DST issue Calendar/Assignments

by Israel Llamas -
Number of replies: 4
Greetings,

With the DST change all the assignments/calendar entries seem to have gone back 1hr on their due date. For example an assignment that is due at 9:20 got changed to 8:20. As a student when submitting an assignment the time when submitted is correct, but the assignment itself is due 1hr earlier. I've updated the timezones, and if I change the setting from UTC -6 to -5 it 'fixes' the calendar but from a user side of it, it shows you submitting files 1hr later than you really did.

This started happening this weekend when the DST took effect by itself.

Before dst an assignment or calendar entry would be set to 9:20 after dst ended its now set at 8:20 but the students/users have the correct times when submitting/accessing assignments.

Any Ideas?

Regards,
Israel
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Israel Llamas

Re: DST issue Calendar/Assignments

by HJWUCGA INC. -
I found this:

http://news.concordia.ca/notices/008918.shtml

Moodle:

Although the appropriate patches have already been applied to the system, any events set to begin or end at a particular time (i.e., quizzes, assignments, calendar entries) between Mar. 11 and Apr. 1, or between Oct. 28 and Nov. 4, may be off by one hour.

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Eric Katchan -
Hi Christopher, We found the problem when adding a repeated event on the same day fro x weeks straight when the events straddled DST

ie: if a calendar event was added on Monday Oct 19 for 10 consecutive Mondays, spanning the end of dst, all events entered after Nov. 4 were off by one hour.

If we manually added a single event say on Oct.25 for Nov 10, no problem.

Maybe this sheds a clue for you.

Here is the code on event.php

>repeat 
  = 1;  < >repeats;  
   = dst_offset_on>timestart;

>timestart = WEEKSECS;

>timestart =   dst_offset_on>timestart;

= insert_record, , true;

add_to_log>courseid, , , ., >name;

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by M. N. -
I believe that post from Concordia is from last year when DST changed in North America.

Anyways, update your timezones and then if you are in a region that is affected by DST then you should select a timezone name (ie. America/Montreal) instead of a UTC offset (UTC -6). By selecting a UTC offset it has that exact offset at all times but with a region selected, the time will reflect DST in that location.
In reply to M. N.

by Eric Katchan -
It is from last year, but the problem reappeared this year in the particular instance of repeat events spanning DST change.