Sticky blocks in Moodle 2.0

Sticky blocks in Moodle 2.0

by Hubert Chathi -
Number of replies: 11
I can't see any place within Moodle 2.0 for setting sticky blocks. Has this functionality been removed, or am I just looking in the wrong spot?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hubert Chathi

Re: Sticky blocks in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
IIRC, if you click on the edit icon of a block that is assigned "system" and set it with the * and to appear in subcontexts then it will act the same as a sticky block.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hubert Chathi -
OK, thanks for the pointer. Does anyone know if that is the only interface planned for "sticky blocks" in 2.0? (I'm working on My Moodle, and wondering what kind of interface is needed for the equivalent in My Moodle.)
In reply to Hubert Chathi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, at the moment there is a just enough interface to let you set things up. However, it is not good enough yet. Someone needs to sit down with some users, work out what sort of things they actually need to do with blocks, and how they think about it, and then build a UI that lets them use all the flexibility that is there on terms they understand.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Brent Lee -

Tim,

We often will push out notices to all students and faculty by placing the block in the top right hand corner of every course.

I typically use an HTML block in 1.9.10+, and stick it to the course until the notice information is no longer required.

Can this functionality be obtained in 2.0 as it currently stands? HTML Block stuck to every course in the top right hand corner? I cannot find this functionality... I can stick it to my moodle and front page, but not within the course.

Cheers,

Brent.

In reply to Brent Lee

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want to make a sticky block then as admin go to an admin page like for instance notifications and add your block there and choose "display throughout the entire site" and choose "any page" if you want it everywhere.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Katarzyna Potocka -

I've tried to do this on the Default MyMoodle page in Moodle 2.1.2 but I think I missed something, because it's not working like it should be. 

Mary, could you please explain once more, how to make a block, e.g. the calendar block sticky on the Default My Moodle page, so that each user will have this block on the MyMoodle page and it will be sticky = undeleteable. 

Thanks. 

In reply to Katarzyna Potocka

by Mary Cooch -

Katarzyna- I am not sure you can have a non-deletable sticky block just on the default MyMoodle page because users are allowed to customise their page. If you have a sitewide sticky block then they can't delete it - but you perhaps only want it on the MyMoodle page?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Susana L. -

Me too smile... I need sticky blocks only on MyMoodle (MyHome) page.

I think it is very wise to let users to customize their home page... Great job! But we have some information that really needs to be there (like service info, questionaires, etc). But couldn't find any workaround...

Thanks,
susana

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Don Hazelwood -

Having issues with blocks as well.

How do you have a block show up in every course, but not on the front page?

In reply to Don Hazelwood

by Mary Cooch -

Don - add your block to the front page and in the configuration settings when you press the hand/pen icon-set it so it is visible on every page but then set it to be visible = NO on the front page.