Databases: Firebird Database (Open Source Interbase)

Databases: Firebird Database (Open Source Interbase)

by Gary Benner -
Number of replies: 8

I've been watching the discussion about alternative databases, and thought it relevant to post some news about my use of Firebird with Moodle.

1. Firebird is the open source fork of Interbase. Interbase has a long history as an "embedded" database. This means it is used with products that are not sold as databases. For example, here in New Zealand here, 90% of Doctor's software uses Interbase at the backend. Four of the most popular accounting products use Interbase (or will shortly) use Interbase. The situation is similar in other countries in different ways with other products of course.

2. Interbase, originally developed in the '80s, was released under a version of the Mozilla Licence by Borland almost three years ago, and now operates under the name Firebird. The Firebird Foundation, like Moodle, is incorporated in Australia. Borland continue to develop and support Interbase as a commercial product.

3. Firebird is now one of the most active Open Source projects (sorry but even more active than Moodle from a software development point of view). But like Moodle it is truly Open Source. I cannot help but view mySQL as a pseudo commercial product that they (mySQL AB) have, and increasing their focus on commercial licensing. Also as a two decade (database) software developer, I view mySQL as a great product, but very much in the pubescent stage of it's lifecycle.

4. I've used mySQL with Moodle, and other web based applications and have no quibble with it's use in that way, however I'm focusing my contribution to Moodle on heavier application use, and am currently using Moodle as the application in a research project developing an Open Source based High Availability Linux cluster. This will involve using database replication at the backend. MySQL AB is currently touting a HA option but when you get down to the details, it is still in it's infancy and defintely nothing I would let near a production environment. FYI it requires memory to hold the entire database, and of course version 5.0. Also standard MySQl replication is only unidirectional. Tahe a look at this white paper for a full comparison.

5. Contrasting that, Firebird / Interbase have had replication features for 5+ years. With the great support for database triggers and stored procedures (required for effective replication) there is a real reason to spend the time and effort in looking at alternative databases for this type of application.

6. The drive to develop this area is relevant comes from looking at larger organisations, requiring a higher degree of reliability, performance, and redundancy.

7. For anyone interested, the research project can be viewed at http://cluster.waiariki.school.nz. Please don't knock the site content, it's not really intended as a fully documented "as we go site". I'm using Moodle as the application to test the environment. And it will also be down from time to time as we experiment with the configuration.

8. I'm expecting to have a Firebird-Moodle implementation going before the end of the year, and will look to support that and other Firebird users thereafter.

regards

Gary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Benner

Re: Databases: Firebird Database (Open Source Interbase)

by Jay None -
I have used Interbase and think the FireBird and Moodle will be a great fit. Porting Moodle to other databases will make the deployment of Moodle much easier in the educational realm. Not every institution have the same needs and run MySQL or PostgreSQL. Porting to Firebird, Oracle, MS SQL, etc., is a most for Moodle to be considered a commercial strength application on par with webct and blackboard.
In reply to Jay None

by Martín Langhoff -
Using the Oracle driver with the Postgres schemas is workable I hear. But more DB ports make moodle more resilient. I haven't heard any news from Gary on this front lately, though.

I'm also keen on seeing an SQLite port for self-standing deployments, to teachers desktops, for instance. It's one of my pet projects actually, waiting for a rainy weekend.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Martin,
    Do you mean that Moodle can use Oracle as backend?
I had understood that that was no possible, due mainly to autonumeric fields in mySQL / sequences in Oracle (I have only a vague idea of what that means).  Only to read data from Oracle, but to to use it as the moodle database.

Please, could you comment further on this topic?
- Enrique -
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Martín Langhoff -
Postgres's syntax is highly compatible with Oracle. If you have an Oracle DB, and a bit of time to fix a few details, it should be a reasonably simple port. Postgres uses sequences just like Oracle.

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
OK, thanks Martin, it's good two know.
Been a biochemistry teacher and neuroscientist, not a  computer  engineer  nor database administrator, many times I have to accept as "revelated true" what and the end  are no more than opinions.

IT staff at my University would love to use Oracle for Moodle (in fact for whatever application).  Now I only have to convince them to have a look at postgre, which I have the impression they like even less that mySQL.

- Enrique -

by David Scotson -

Of some relevance to this discussion is the Oracle compatability layer being developed for Firebird/Interbase with the supremely odd name of Fyracle.

This allows you to move to a solid open source solution even after your snooty DB admins have attempted to lock your project in to an expensive proprietary solution.

In reply to Jay None

by Bryan Williams -
for Moodle to be considered a commercial strength application on par with webct and blackboard.

Gee, I hope that never happens. It might surprise you to know that the Moodle installed base worldwide is considerably larger than these two offerings combined.
In reply to Jay None

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah, cool!

Let's do some people (Larry, Bill?) donate all their software (and the required hardware to run it) to Moodle and I'll be really happy to start working about it. Not a joke, just a promise!

But Larry and Bill must be involved and their donations must be FOREVER and for EVERY RELEASE of their RDBS, those are my conditions. And it isn't a crazy idea: As they are clever people, they must know that, just now, they are losing money not supporting Moodle (such strategists can't ignore it!).

Business are business, you know. wink

Ciao smile