Teacher can not add resource or activity

Teacher can not add resource or activity

by Mark Fischer -
Number of replies: 11
I recently added a Teacher to an existing course. She can do everything that I would expect but she can not add a resource or activity. I can grant her every role in the course and she still can not add activities or resources. If I give her system wide permission of Teacher she can add resources or activities.

In the course there are zero overrides on permissions and I also reset to the defaults the permission of the system wide Teacher role.

How do I grant her the privileges to add resources to a single course in the system?

I am running Moodle 1.9.6+ (Build: 20091028)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Fischer

Re: Teacher can not add resource or activity

by ben reynolds -
Mark,
Do you mean the teacher cannot see the Turn Editing On button?

Or do you mean she can see and click on Turn Editing on but the drop down boxes for add a resource and add an activity do not appear?

Are you using categories? Perhaps her permissions are affected at the category level?

You didn't, by any chance, make her a non-editing teacher in this classroom?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mark Fischer -
She can see and click on the Turn Editing On button and can edit existing resources and activities but can not add resources or activities. She is a Teacher not a non-editing teacher.

No, we are not using categories.

Also, I have verified the condition by both logging in as the teacher and assigning the teacher role to one of my otherwise non-privileged accounts.
In reply to Mark Fischer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Does she have ajax enabled in her profile by any chance?(if so, disable it) How very strangethoughtful Does she have any other roles in there apart from teacher? Or any other global roles? So is it the case that she can see the icons next to existing resources but does not get the drop down boxes? If you like I will have a look for you if you wanted to DM me a log in and I would log in as her. Presumably this happens on all computers/all browsers?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Fischer -
She does not have ajax enabled in her profile. She does not have any other roles except teacher in that particular course. When I confirmed the issue with my unprivileged account that account also had the student role in that course but not any global roles.

I have attached a screen shot of what she sees.

Yes, it occurs on all computers/browsers/sites.

Yes, we are using categories. I answered no before. I don't see how you can change role permissions on a category level.

You can go to https://secure.spacegrant.org/vasts/ and register with the site. Once you do this I will set you up as a teacher in our test course.

Thanks for the help.
Attachment VASTS_Teacher_Issue.jpg
In reply to Mark Fischer

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks - I will be happy to have a look although with teacher permissions you can't always spot things you can as an admin but we should get to the bottom of it eventually smile
In reply to Mark Fischer

by ben reynolds -
Interesting. I'm suspecting groups and groupings.

About categories, when in a category, "Assign roles" appears below the Turn editing on button. You can then go into Override permissions. There is a permission called "Manage activities," but I can't find anything like "Manage resources."
In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -
Hmm. I'm in 1.9.4, which, I think has some significant differences from 1.9.6.

In a test classroom, I changed the teacher's permission for manage activities to prohibit. The teacher then still has a Turn editing on button, but the only "editing" allowed is of topic sections. I can't edit anything in a section, and I do not have the drop down boxes for adding resources or activities.

So, I'd be tempted to look at the category permissions. 1.9.6 may behave differently.

I got nowhere with groups, groupings. Sorry.
In reply to Mark Fischer

by sam elias -
I, too, have this problem. I did notice that the teacher has the drop-down menus to add resources and activities in any course that they create. They do not have them in any course they do NOt create. Does this help anyone pinpoint a solution?
In reply to sam elias

by Diego Fantoma -

Hi,

I also have the same problem using moodle 1.9.8. I wrote a simple php page that parse a text file and bulk create a tree of categories and courses using the course lib functions and acting as administrator. Everything works well except for that issue. The Ajax is disabled and I'm not using groups/groupings and the problem appears both in normal or meta courses.

I tried to debug this behaviour by comparing three database dumps referred to the following cases:

- before any course creation

- after the scripted creation

- after removing the automatically created courses and categories and re-creating them by hand (in this case everything works right!)

but I noticed no relevant differences (BTW, manually parsing out an impressive amount of rows...)

I really need to solve this problem in a very few days!

Attached: the php creation script (sorry, variables names and comments are in italian language...). It lies on the admin directory of the moodle wwwroot.

thank you in advance

d

In reply to Diego Fantoma

by Diego Fantoma -

Well,

After some trial I found what the problem was rised by: I forgot to explicitly set the allowed modules for the course once forced the restriction so that nobody but the administrator had access to resources or activities.

Anyway,

thank you

d

In reply to Mark Fischer

by Deb Vasenda -

I found out that I had the teacher listed as a TEACHER and COURSE CREATOR.  I eliminated the TEACHER role and she had her dropdowns again!~