Workshop 2.0 Gradebook integration

Workshop 2.0 Gradebook integration

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is a request for your comments on a proposal to change how Workshop integrates into the course Gradebook.
In the current version, the calculated grade for submission and grade for assessment are summarized and pushed as a single grade into the gradebook (well, it does not work due to a reported bug at the moment, but it does not matter now). Since the time the Workshop appeared, the course Gradebook was improved in many ways. One of its not very well known features is that a module instance can actually push more than one grade items into the gradebook. As far as I know, no module uses this feature (if we do not count outcomes). I propose a change in the behaviour so that workshop publish both grade for submission and grade for assessment as separated grade items in the gradebook (leading to two columns in the report).
Such a solution has some significant pros:
  • teachers can choose their own way on how to deal with these two workshop grades - for example, the grade for assessment can be considered as extra credit
  • teachers can calculate things like an average grade for submission across all workshop in the course etc.
  • teachers can easily deal with missing grades in individual cases - it est they can exclude the low grade for submission for a student who was ill and joined the Workshop workflow later in the assessment phase only. The Gradebook already has the logic implemented.
The only con I can see at the moment is, if a teacher requires the legacy behaviour (the workshop total grade = grade for submission + grade for assessment), an extra step is needed: a special category in the gradebook must be created containing the two workshop grades, with an aggregation method set to Sum of grades (see the attached screenshot).

I plan to release the first testable version of the workshop next week. Your early comments are welcome therefore smile

d.
Attachment workshop-gradebook.gif
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Workshop 2.0 Gradebook integration

by Thomas Brown -
I support this proposal. It gives added flexibility at a low teacher-management overhead cost. I've always found the Gradebook module to be unnecessarily opaque and difficult to manage, but that problem should not drive the design of the Workbook module.
In reply to Thomas Brown

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks for the feedback Thomas. Agree, Gradebook is not trivial to use. but once you master it, it becomes really useful tool. I just want to use all the features it offers.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Lane Grann-Stahl -

Is there documentation/tutorials or other help available that will support this mastery of the gradebook?  I have found very little to date and assisting faculty with gradebook issues through trial and error has been frustrating, time consuming, and WAY beyond "not trivial." 

I am especially interested in specific examples of different combinations of aggregation methods, recommendations on best practices, and troubleshooting tips.

Thanks for anything you can send my way,

Lane in Charlotte,

In reply to David Mudrák

by Colin Matheson -
I loved the old workshop module and appreciate your work updating it. I agree that pushing two separate grades to the gradebook will make it more clear to teachers and students what is going on.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello David,

I have been an avid user of the Workshop module, so am pleased to hear that it is being updated.

Publishing both grades seems to be a great idea, and as you point out, there is an easy solution to the 'con' that you mention.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joan Codina Filba -
I have come through this before but still i think that the workshop keeps to much complexity and that could be a kind of p2p evaluation layer for any activity that needs to be graded.

For example, forums can be graded in a p2p way but without the capabilities of workshop. And we can remove from the workshop the way the users submit their work and only focus on the way we grade them.
The evaluation form is a great think, but why only for workshops?
I use forums and wikis, and I like students to rate their colleages, but ... wikis don't allow this and forums have a simple web2.0 tool that allows to rate the best posts...

So,
First I like your idea that the workshop provides many results and the teacher can manage them in the gradebook and both, teacher and student see in the gradebook the way the final grade is obtained

But I also would like to apply the workshop grading capabilities to any of the activities... any, even maybe new kinds of activities, like blogs.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Joan Codina Filba

by David Mudrák -
Thanks Joan,

yes, this is a known issue - see for example the Tim's idea listed at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Workshop_2.0_specification#Out_of_scope.
Of course, this would be nice to have feature. But currenty, Moodle is pretty weak in the inter-module communication. The overall Moodle design is that it consists of a set of separate plugins. The plugins must work independently and they were never expected to exchange data massively.
Anyway, I will keep this idea in mind. Thanks.

d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vicki Dunnam -

I am glad you are working on the Workshop module.  I am testing this module in one of our courses at our university.  I am a little "stumped" in how it calcuates the grading on the "rubric" assessment. 

I put a weight grade of 4 on 6 different categories.  I did a "sample workshop" with the students to see how it would work. 

We are using Moodle version 1.9.5 and I am glad you will be adding to 2.0. 

I hope to give a training session on how to use this module but may need to wait until you have revamped it. 

Keep up the hard work. 

In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -
I like the idea. It provides flexibility (which is a good thing) and allows teachers who want to provide additional information to students in the gradebook.
In reply to David Mudrák

by joe cool -
I like this, and would definitely say yes. But instead of choosing one or the other, is it possible to make this some kind of configurable option, so teachers might choose whether they want one or 2 grades?
In reply to joe cool

by David Mudrák -
-1 against the optionality. IMHO it could lead to problems in the gradebook consistency/setup if teachers changed their mind after the workshop and the gradebook items were created.
In reply to David Mudrák

by James Cracknell -

+1 from me - but my only concern is if Gradebook changes code then Workshop will have to quickly catch up.