What has been the experience of using LESSON in this way?

What has been the experience of using LESSON in this way?

by Peter Evans -
Number of replies: 2
We are thinking of using the Lesson module to create a structured orientation activity for our university. The main features that we are looking for are:
  • Presenting a sequence of pages
  • Some pages will contain questions that the student can answer and receive feedback
  • Person should be able to revisit the activity and start where they were up to before and see the options they have answered before
  • We want to be able to geterate a report showing that people have completed certain pages or where they "dropped out"
I understand that not all of these things are possible in LESSON but I would be interested in comments on any of the following
  • has anyone had particulary good or bad experineces with LESSON
  • what other modules might we be able to use to achieve these goals
  • are there any good examples of lessons that show the features I listed at the start e.g. returning to where you were up to before
Any assistance would be VERY gratefully accepted.
Peter Evans
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Evans

Re: What has been the experience of using LESSON in this way?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Peter,
I use Lesson in a variety of settings and sites that involve training.

The student will not see their previous answers. There is no report that will say "Chris saw 15/30 pages".

One of our Moodle database people might be able to tell you a MySQL query.

I would use questions in a lesson and the Grades report as a solution. For example, space 10 questions out and award a point for every question. The math tells me roughly where the student stopped.

I do not have a workaround so that the student will see their previous answers upon their return. I think the data is there but the code would have to be tweaked.

I have also used the Quiz Module when seeing previous answers is important. The feedback in the Quiz Module is not choice/answer specific. I may not score some questions or use the "Description" (label) question type to provide just content. I am sure there are some clever ways in a Quiz module to allow the student to return to where they left off, I do not use it this way so can not say from experience.

You could go to demo.moodle.org and look at some of the courses there. The Moodle Features demo has some lessons. You can change some of the lesson settings as a teacher then log back in as a student and see what happens.

Hope this helps. I am sure others in higher education have opinions smile Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: What has been the experience of using LESSON in this way?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Peter,

I use the QuizPort module for this sort of thing. It's still in beta but quite stable. I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie but if you're reasonably familiar with with Quiz, Questionnaire and similar modules you shouldn't find it too difficult to use.

I recently put a mini demo sequence on the developer, Gordon Bateson's test site that you can try out to see if it meets your needs.

It's in the first section.

Cheers,
Glenys