What exactly happens when a student is unenrolled?

What exactly happens when a student is unenrolled?

by Mister T -
Number of replies: 9

Bonjour,

I did a bit of searching but, unfortunately, did not seem to hit what I was looking for.  My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere already.

I was wondering if someone with experience could tell me what exactly happens when a student is unenrolled by the 'enrollment time' feature, from an instructor perspective.  I am using the new 'enrollment time' enhancement and (please don't hurt me) forgot to test what happens to a student when that enrollment time expires.  Does the student disappear completely from the course (and from view of the instructor) or is their access to the course simply 'deactivated' while their course data remains?

If they are deleted completely, I will need to ensure we somehow have access to their coursework (grades, assignments, etc).  If their username is simply blocked from accessing the course, then I am hoping I will still be able to view their coursework in the course.  If the second case is true, I assume that I will need to manually delete students from the course, using the admin user, once I no longer need any information about them.

Much thanks to anyone that can help me!

I love moodle!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mister T

Re: What exactly happens when a student is unenrolled?

by Mister T -

I guess everyone is mad at me for not testing it, because I have had no replies  sad

To try and redeem myself, I logged in as an instructor and went to the profiles of one of my test students that are in there.  I then hit the 'unenroll' button and that student is no longer enrolled in the course.  I am hoping that this has simulated for me what will happen when students are automatically unenrolled by the 'enrollment time' feature.

Unfortunately, I found that I can no longer access this student's grades.  I cannot view journal entries, quiz grades, choice responses, or their total accumlulated grade for the course.  This is bad news -- although students should be automatically unenrolled when time is up... if instructors cannot see their final grade when they were unenrolled, we cannot pass/fail them!

Now -- when the cron runs it appears that the user's information still exists somewhere.  Am I just not knowledgeable on where to look?  Could it be that this scenario was not thought of when designing the enrollment time feature?

In either case, some of my students will start being unenrolled in less than two weeks!  HELP!!!!

Thanks much.

In reply to Mister T

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Mister T

I have just hit the auto-unenrollment period. I did not realise like you that the enrollment period was the time that students are enrolled but rather I thought ti was the period of time in which they can join the course. I set it for three weeks in order to reduce the number of students ending up in multiple courses.

Last night was the 3rd week. All those students that had enrolled themselves on the first day of the course (they had 7 days from the first day) were automatically unenrolled from the course.

As you say, I cannot see their grades. I am just about to attempt to enrol back into a course. and see if the grades are restored or (with all that student effort) gone. I will test it first myself elsewhere.

Oh dear....

It seems that if I unenrol a student and then re-enroll them all their data disapears.

I guess that means that all the data from the students that were unenrolled last night will be non existant also.

The other hope is that I can use the backup files, but thinking about it, I think that the backup files were made after the automatical unenrollment period. Yes.. the backup files were made at about midnight.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Mister T -

Hi Tim!

Thanks for replying to my post!  I saw your post on the general problems forum and replied there as well before seeing your post here.  I very much hope you get your data back.

I have asked there if anyone knows where the data is stored or if there is a view for teachers/administrators after a student is unenrolled.  I think it would be valuable because teachers may want to assign a final grade and send certificates, pass letters, etc. after students have completed their course and are unenrolled.  Since a student has until their unenrollment date to finish their work, their unenrollment is really the only signifier to the teacher that their grade is final.  I hope someone knows where the data can be seen or that such a view exists.

In your particular case, do you not keep more than one backup file?  I personally keep 20 copies, that way I always have 3 weeks' worth of course backups to restore to, just in case.  It is an option in the configuration section when you login as admin how many backups you would like to keep before they start overwriting older backups.  I highly recommend it!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

In reply to Mister T

by Ben Brown -

I must admit I am a bit worried about using this environment if you can't get an answer to this question.

Ben Brown

In reply to Ben Brown

by Jan Dierckx -

Welcome Ben,

It must feel bad having your institution tell you to change learning environment without asking for your opinion. I hope you succeed in making the best of the transition.

To answer your question...

Tim posted this same question in the General problems forum he mentions here. To sum up the answers that were given...

Unenrolling a student removes a student from a class This will not delete any of their data from the course, but will remove them from the student list and prevent any course email being sent to them.

I just did a quick test. I enrolled an unenrolled student. Grades, work, etc... everything is back in place.

This also answers Mister T's question: if you want to have a look at an unenrolled student's grades / submitted work, etc... you simply enroll them again momentarily.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Ben,

agree with Jan - Moodle has so far mostly been a 'bottom-up' adopters tool, the top-down ethos is a new thing around here. If you ask nicely, and give us enough info, people will come out of the woodwork to help.

Specially if the question itself is interesting.

Now, this points out something with enrolments tht I've been wondering about for a while. It would be a good suggestion to make to module writers... modules should have an option to view the records of unenrolled students. Perhaps we should bounce this off MD.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Kirk Haines -
+1

In my situation the Moodle sites are being used to deliver OSHA training and environmental and chemical safety type trainings.  The client needs to be able to look at reports of what courses a student has taken as well as their performance in those courses, and also has the need to record information about outside training courses, so what I am having to do is to write an external system that just interfaces with the Moodle database that will generate a transcript of all coursework, both an HTML view and a dynamically generated PDF transcript.  I'd love it if it were possible to do even just the first part in Moodle and let the clients view a transcript of all online coursework for a given student or students.

Kirk Haines
In reply to Kirk Haines

by Ignacio Valdes -
Hi Kirk, So you got the dynamic PDF generation working? I need to get students surveys and quizzes PDF'ed after they've taken them so they can keep a copy as well as me storing a PDF copy on our server. How did you get the dynamic PDF generation working?

-- IV
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by John Rodkey -
I would echo these sentiments:  having students 'disappear' from the teacher's gradebook is disconcerting to our professors. An option to display unenrolled students as well as enrolled would be helpful in this regard.

John