Error in Backup Error Email?

Error in Backup Error Email?

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 15
Since last Saturday October 2cd I have nightly been getting error emails indicating problems with my automatic backups:

[ERROR] Scheduled backup status

Summary
==================================================
Courses: 17
OK: 10
Error: 7
Unfinished: 0

Some of your courses weren't saved!!

Please take a look to your backup logs in:
http://tim.hannam.ac.kr/myclass/backup/log.php

When I go to that link it shows up as all "ok". All course backups have been saved correctly. Furthermore, there are in fact 9 courses, not 17.

What does this mean? Can anyone advise? thoughtful

TIA, Tim. smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Error in Backup Error Email?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim,

how many records do you have in the mdl_course table? It's very strange!

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Dave Kirkby -

I am having similar problems, can you explain what 'mdl_course' is so I can answer your question.

Thanks

Davethoughtful

In reply to Dave Kirkby

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Dave Kirby,

mdl_course is the table in your moodle database that stores your courses.

If you unzip and upload the database administration adon MYSQL Admin to your moodle/admin folder the administrator will see a new database icon on the main page. Click it to enter the database. You will see a long list of tables in your database in the left hand frame. One of them is the mdl_course table (or perhaphs moodle_course). If you click it and press view in the right hand frame you will see the array of data about your courses. I think that Eloy is asking how many rows there are in that table.  There should be one row for each course.

It is not advisable to change anything in the database unless you know what you are doing, but it is okay to looko.

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Timothy Takemoto

I have uploaded the complete unzipped folder to moodle/admin. Unfortunately I don't see any icon on the main page. Should I have emptied the folder into moodle/admin or is it  right to leave it in the MYSQL folder?

I have managed via PHPmyadmin on cPanel to access the database mdl_course, there are 11 lines, the same number of courses, the only problem I can see is that the ID number starts at 0, misses out 3, 6, 10 and 13-20. Is this where I have deleted courses, which I have done?

Thanks

Dave

In reply to Dave Kirkby

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear  Dave Kirby

The instructions say (with my commend in blue) "This module is a repackaged version of phpMyAdmin 2.6.0. To install, just unzip this archive inside the moodle/admin folder. (that is for people that can unzip on their servers - I can't so I unzip first and then upload) You should end up with a folder in there called 'mysql' in there that contains all the necessary files. Now when you look at your Moodle admin menus you will see a new item: 'Database'."

So it is strange that you do not see the database icon. You are logging in as an administrator? Perhaps you need to go to the admin page first but I do not think so. Nah. Hmm... I have no answer for this one. I have uploaded the database administrator to all my moodles and I always see the icon. I have to just refresh the main page. You did refresh? The icon looks like a stack of CDs. You can also see a "manage the database" or some such on the main admin page too.

But since you have access via cPanel, then you have the answer that Eloy wants. I am not sure what he is going to make of that.

Perhaps the email assumes that there are 20 courses, and complains about the fact that some of them are missing??

Eloy will probably tell you soon, since he is saint (in my experience).

Tim
Ps. I write names at the top of postings since I find it difficult to tell which posts are addressed to me. Thanks for returning the favour(?).

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Timothy Takemoto

What I have now done is moved the MYsql folder out of the 'moodle-1.4-mysql-admin' directly into moodle/admin folder and it now works, ironically it gives me the same view as in cPanel, bit easier than signing into the control panel everytime. big grin

I know that I have created courses in the past and then deleted them, I was haaving a few other problems which I have now sorted out. Whether it is because of this i'm not sure, but that might account for the missing id numbers when I view the database.thoughtful

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

by Tim Allen -
Hi Eloy,

I'm really sorry I haven't followed up on your reply - I was so busy recently and also I just missed seeing it. blush

Anyway, this problem is still happening so I will give you more information now.

Firstly, to answer your question, in mdl_course there are, correctly, only 11 courses. However, in the mdl_backup_courses table, there are 19 courses in the list, which is the number mentioned in the backup error email that I receive. However, some of the records in the latter table show up with a whole lot of zeros, eg.

id courseid laststarttime lastendtime laststatus nextstarttime
1 1 1099152302 1099152333 1 1099238400
2 2 0 0 0 1094223600
3 3 0 0 0 1094223600

Furthermore, I have had a closer look at my backup logs, and they are very strange! The backup steps seem to be all mixed up, sometimes phase 2 even starts first! I have attached a file containing a few lines as an example.

I am using Moodle 1.4.1+ (2004083120), and have set my zip programs to be the Linux executables /usr/bin/zip and /usr/bin/unzip.

Please, any clues about this?

Thanks in advance, smile
Tim.

PS Could this have anything to do with using symbolic links in the course files areas? 
In reply to Tim Allen

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Timothy Allen

I have an error email saying four courses are not backed up, when I look in mdl_backup_courses, there are 4 courses with zeros by them.

I only have 11 courses actually on moodle, but in mdl_backup_courses it shows 21. Would it be safe to delete them? thoughtful

Thanks

Dave

In reply to Dave Kirkby

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dave,

I have just done a test on my development site.  I deleted the extra entries in the mdl_backup_courses tables (make sure you delete the right ones - with the zeros and also with a course id number that is not one of your existing courses!).

Before I did this I got this email:

Hangul: [ERROR] Scheduled backup status
Summary
  Courses: 5
  OK: 4
  Error: 1

Some of your courses weren't saved!!

Please take a look to your backup logs in:
  http://tim.hannam.ac.kr/moodtrans/backup/log.php

Afterwards I got this:

Hangul: Scheduled backup status
Summary
  Courses: 4
  OK: 4
  Error: 0

Backup completed successfully

In summary, deleting the extra records in mdl_backup_courses seems to fix the problem!

However, there still may be a bug in backup that causes this problem in the first place. Perhaps deleted courses that were previously included in the automatic backup do not get deleted from the backup procedure properly.     I will do more tests...

Talk soon,
Tim.  smile

In reply to Tim Allen

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Tim

What I might do is wait until you have carried out more tests as my site is being used by students, I will check the id numbers in the backup, mdl_backup_courses and in mdl_courses. I will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks

Davesmile

In reply to Tim Allen

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Tim

I took a chance last night and deleted the courses with 0 by them in mdl_backup_courses and received no error report this morning. It still says it is backing up 17 courses and I on have 11 in mdl_courses, so there maybe a bug there too. mixed

Dave

In reply to Tim Allen

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tim an Dave,

Now it seems to be solved in CVS and it'll work fine in 1.4.2 (I hope). Records in backup tables are checked against existing courses to avoid that wrong info in emails. Thanks for your report!

About the "unordered things" in backup logs, it has been solved too and it should work in 1.4.2.

Sorry by the delay and ciao smile

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot Eloy, I appreciate it.  smile 

by Dave Kirkby -

Hi Tim and Eloy

Since upgrading to 1.4.2 the backup email represents the correct amount of courses. Before it was saying 17, it now says 11, which is right.big grin

Thanks

Dave

by Juan Marín -
I have experience similar problems with the course backups.
I have 16 courses, but 1 has some kind of error (I try to delete but the process stops without finishing)...
In the mdl_backup_courses table, the information of the problematic course is:

Editar Borrar 17 18 1149040856 1149040861 3 1149213600

theproblematic course is the only one with laststatus=3 (in the others, the value is 1)

could I delete this row?