j-Intro and JMemory in Quizport!

j-Intro and JMemory in Quizport!

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 12
Hi Gordon!

I finally got my latest version of Quizport and tested the Michael Rottmeier Jintro modification that you have made Quizport compatible with and........it works beautifully! And scores, and moves on to the next quiz, which of course it never did in the Hotpot Module. It was really a sight for sore eyes for me.

Thank you so much for that!

Just wondering........................will you be doing the same for JMemori? (Fortunately you are in Japan and I am in Israel so you can't throw something at me!). Sorry to be so greedy. I can't wait to convert my big cumbersome Hotpot courses to Quizport but they have both Jintro and Jmemory quizzes in them.

Thanks once again.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: j-Intro and JMemory in Quizport!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
thanks for confirming the JMatch-intro works well for you.

I would say the work to allow QuizPort to handle JMemori is about 60% complete. I can't say for sure when I will find a good stretch of quality time to finish it off, but it is certainly something I would like to do.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
thanks for waiting. The JMemory output format for QuizPort is now ready cool

As I mentioned last month the work was 60% done, and the kind sponsorship that you offered to finish the job was just the incentive I needed to make it down the home stretch.

QuizPort will accept JMemory html files, or you can display any jmt file as a JMemory quiz by selecting "JMemory from xml" as the "Output format" on QuizPort's "Updating a quiz" page (see attached screenshot).

The JMemory functionality is included in the latest download of the QuizPort module:
enjoy!
Gordon
Attachment jmemory.output.format.png

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

This is great news! 

I think J-intro and J-Memori really add to the possibilities with Hotpots and it's great that they will be functional with Quizport.

My server very promptly updated my Quizport version so I have been able to try J-Memori on both your and my servers.  There seem to be some teething problems:

1)  The "Output Format" dropdown box on the "Update a Quizport" page on my server doesn't show the options shown in your screenshot.  I updated shortly after you wrote but maybe it was too soon?  And - this is really strange - the first time I updated the Quiz on your server to try it out in jmt format, the "Output Format" dropdown box showed the options in your screenshot but thereafter only showed the "best" option. 

2) In the jmt (xml) format, even after I selected "jmemory from xml" on your sever, the quiz shows up as a normal Jmatch.

3)In the htm format the quiz shows up as a Jmemori but I experienced the following problems on both my and your servers:

i) The dividing lines, as seen in the screenshot below, which divide the various items to be matched aren't visible.  So it looks like one big rectangle.  When one clicks on it the items appear but the blank rectangle is a bit offputting and doesn't suggest what has to be done.  

ii) When one clicks on a picture it stays visible.  It should disappear after a few seconds to give the memory testing effect.  Then when one clicks the matching item that stays open, as it should do.

iii) Once all items have been found no "well done/OK" message comes up and the quiz doesn't move on.

Deborah

Attachment jmemory-screenshot.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -
(1) QuizPort will only recognize newly added quizzes as JMemory, so you may need to re-add your JMemory HTML files. JMemory HTML files will only ever have "best" in the "Output format" options. That is normal.

(2) I had a look at the quiz you added on my server, "10(a) ...", and the "Output format" was set to "best". For jmt files the "best" format is the standard JMatch format, so that explains that. I changed the "Output format" to "JMemory from XML" and now it displays JMemory as required.

I see what you mean about the conflicting colors making the text hard disappear. I imagine we will have to change some CSS somewhere. I will investigate tomorrow.

out for now
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -
After seeing this thread and looking around about JMemory lead to Michael Rottmeier. Found his website: http://teachingtools.michael-rottmeier.de/Home_1.htm.
His source file links are broken. Is there another place?

Thanks,
Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Jeff

On another of  Michael's websites

http://www.teaching-tools.de.vu/ the links are also broken but he publishes his email address and says:

"The download section is currently out of service so that any link for downloading the source files will not work. If you need any of the source packages just send me an e-mail and you'll get them by e-mail! "

I have written to him in the past and he usually replies quickly.

Good luck and let me know if you have a problem.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,

> 1) The jmt file, ... still does not give a score or move on when finished,
> both on my server and your server.

I am confused here, because both the jmt and html versions *do* give a score *and* move on when I view the following QuizPort on my server:
Perhaps the browser matters. FF3 works OK for me. I will try some IE permutations.

> 2) The htm file works as it should on your server but not on mine.

Oh dear, sorry. The was a Javascript error which I fixed on my site but which didn't make it into the QuizPort zip file. I will redo the zip file. While I am at it, I will also take this opportunity to fix the colors. I'll let you know when the new version is available.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I have fixed the table cell spacing on JMemori.

Also, I have been able to reprduce the issue you reported with scores not being reported at the end of a JMemori. It seems there is a Javascript error on IE8:
  • Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)
    Timestamp: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 02:45:39 UTC

Line: 779
    Char: 4
    Code: 0
    URI: mod/quizport/view.php?quizid=99&qnumber=-1&unitattemptid=99
So I am investigating that as we speak ...
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hello again Deborah,
I found and fixed the cause of the problem with IE8, so JMemori in IE is working well for me now. The new functionality will be available to you when the QuizPort module on your server is next updated.

As always, if you see any strange behavior in QuizPort please let me know smile

thanks
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon!

I just looked at those quizzes on your sever and they are indeed working perfectly now!  approveapprove  I tested them in IE6 for good measure and they passed the test!

Could you please just confirm that all the fixes have reached the Quizport zip file before I ask my server to update?

I'm so happy that I can now convert my cumbersome Hotpot Module courses to Quizports!

Thanks sooooo much.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
just to be sure I recreated the zip file from the very latest version of QuizPort (which resides in a Subversion repository on a server somewhere in Texas I believe), so please go ahead and update.

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Oh I see - you don't get the output format options when you first add a quiz to Quizport; only when you go back and edit a quiz that is in the jmt format. That explains that. Thank you.

This is where I am now:

1) The jmt file, when set to XML format, is working as it should, but still does not give a score or move on when finished, both on my server and your server. Maybe there is something else I need to do with the settings?

2) The htm file works as it should on your server but not on mine. Please see

10m Reading Words

(Moodle made me change my password so I will email the new one to you). In the htm's on my server the pictures stay open once clicked. And, as above, the quiz does not score or move on on either server.

I would rather use the htm output because otherwise I can't center my instructions and Hebrew, which is a right to left language, looks very weird over on the left. Also, I prefer to edit out the "JMemory" slogan which appears on the boxes (sorry Michael.....!) as I think it is a bit irrelevant and confusing to students.

Looking forward to your next update.

Deborah