Email notification not working

Email notification not working

โดย Deewanand Ledu -
Number of replies: 13
Hi all

I recently set up Moodle 1.9.5+

We have a quiz and the requirement is when a student completes the quiz - teacher and student should get a separate email.

I followed what was instructed in the following link.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Quiz_submission_email_notification

But i failed to receive any email from Moodle/my quiz site.

I enabled "Allow" in student role for email notification while submitting and in teacher role for email notification for submissions (As instructed in Moodle Docs)

Please help me.
การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย: -
In reply to Deewanand Ledu

Re: Email notification not working

โดย Lynn Scarlet Clark -
It might be that your own email (or whoever you've tried to email) is de-activated or just incorrectly spelled.

Assuming it's your email and it's deactivated:

Go to your profile (click on your name)

Click the edit profile tab

Make sure next to the 'Email activated' tab you select 'This email address is enabled'
(If you can't see this, make sure you click the 'Show advanced' tab which will bring it up)

Go down to the bottom of the screen and click 'update profile'

You may need to re-test as Moodle won't posthumously send out the confirmation email to the newly-shown address.

Hope this helps!
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

โดย Deewanand Ledu -
Thank you all for the replies.

Scarlet, i disable and enabled again.

Then taken the quiz. When i'm done, a notice appeared on screen after 'submit all and finish'. It is something like

ERROR: SMTP ERROR...............

and disappeared in a less time.

Please help me !

โดย Joseph Rézeau -
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของPlugin developers รูปภาพของTesters รูปภาพของTranslators
Is your moodle site located on a local host (on your own computer) or in the Internet?
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

โดย Deewanand Ledu -
Hi

It is online.

I tried mail.website.com:80 and copied same email address (as in 1st email field) to no-reply field.

Now i'm getting following error.

ERROR: The following From address failed: username@website.com

Thanks in advance
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

โดย Jim Henion -
My Moodle site is located on a hosted server on the Internet.
In reply to Jim Henion

โดย Joe K -

If I am reading it right, you have configured your mail server entry wrongly,

“ I tried mail.website.com:80”

Its unlikely that your mail server is using port 80 ( that’s used by the Webserver!) try not using any port number ( for default smtp port) or ask your hosting provider about the smtp port ( also check weather it need SSl etc) . If you use a mail client ( like outlook exp, outlook) you can find out the correct outgoing smtp port from your mail client configuration..

Also pls check on Tim’s suggestion, is the mail working from any other function like subscribe to a forum ?

Hope this helps…..

Joe K

โดย Tim Hunt -
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของDocumentation writers รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของPeer reviewers รูปภาพของPlugin developers
Do other emails from Moodle work? For example, try subscribing to a forum.

In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย Deewanand Ledu -

Hi tim

I received one email from Moodle initially. It was when Admin User created a normal user, we received a mail when user is enrolled for course.

It came from Admin user (<em>noreply@website.net)

Subject: Welcome to Coursename

Thanks in advance

โดย Tim Hunt -
รูปภาพของCore developers รูปภาพของDocumentation writers รูปภาพของParticularly helpful Moodlers รูปภาพของPeer reviewers รูปภาพของPlugin developers
What I am saying is, can you do something now in your Moodle site that will make it send you and email (e.g. subscribe to a forum, then get someone to make a forum post there.)

We want to test whether the problem you are having is quiz specific, or about emails in Moodle in general.
In reply to Tim Hunt

โดย Deewanand Ledu -
The problem is temporarily solved !!

Hi all

Thank you for giving guidance and suggestions. They were very useful to me.

I resolved my problem by opting to default PHP mail server.

Earlier i thought of using my mail server and was found very difficult with the settings.

I'm using network solutions service. They said to use 2525 as port for email traffic. so i edited smtp field as smtp.mailservername.com:2525, entered email id, password and copied same email id to no-reply field also.

Even then mail was not going out.

However, when i emptied field data in mail server settings (SMTP, Password etc.) and just left them blank to use PHP default mail serve, it worked for me !!

Thanks again

โดย Jeff Snyder -

I have a problem here too...Our students receive emails upon quiz submission, but the teachers / admins do not. 

Unfortunately I can't find any other help here about this issue.