Online costs for students in less priviledged Africa

Online costs for students in less priviledged Africa

by Gaetano Bartolone -
Number of replies: 3
I am in a position where we can afford setting up the server's etc but the students cant afford to be online to do their assignments etc too long and would like to just get the bare minimum from the site and submit their assignments in basic doc or text format. The teachers on the other hand, then have a serious problem with the paradigm shift to online marking ( which costs a fortune and the process seems to be slower )instead they  print out and mark everything by hand and then re-upload these scanned in marked files. ??? It is really frustrating having all the knowledge and not having the infrastructure in our country to keep up with the rest of the world.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gaetano Bartolone

Re: Online costs for students in less priviledged Africa

by Bryan Williams -
Gaetano,

If you would like to try an experiment with these teachers to show them the power and ease of doing things entirely within Moodle, I might be able to help you out. There is an online web conferencing program called Elluminate that would allow you to get say 20 teachers into an online meeting, and then demonstrate how things are done.  This program has application sharing, whiteboard, polls and includes very good two-way audio so participants can ask questions.

My company is an agent for Elluminate and if it would help you to make a case for entering the 21st century, with your teacher population, I would be happy to arrange this for you. Your country may be an ideal candidate for this technology as it works well for people that have slower dialup internet access.

Bryan
In reply to Gaetano Bartolone

by N Hansen -
Gaetano-When you say the students can't afford to be online too long, what is the reason? Is it because they don't have computers at home and have to go to an internet cafe to do it? Or is it because the cost of being online even from home is by the minute and they can't afford it? I think you need to explain where the cost problem is for us to be able to help you with a solution.
In reply to N Hansen

by Gaetano Bartolone -

The costs from home or from internet cafe's are obsurd.