Group as a database field ? /Links in a text field ?

Group as a database field ? /Links in a text field ?

by Mark Guy -
Number of replies: 1

Is it posible to use a student "group" in a database as a field.

I  am useing  a database to list homework for a particular "school year". this is at the top of a course, which contains 30-60 'hot potatoes' activities which may be set as homework or used in lesson time.

As an example I have eight 'groups' a1,a2,a3,a4,b1,b2,b3,b4 All classes of whom need to check the database for this weeks homework.

It would be useful to select a subset of the records by group, so that a particular pupil only see's the work for his/her class group.

In addition I have noticed that I can not cut and paste a link into a text field.
It would be most useful to insert a link to a 'Hot potato' into a text field.

With thanks for any assistance

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Guy

Re: Group as a database field ? /Links in a text field ?

by Marius Pretorius -
Hello Mark

What a good idea to have a homework database! I like it.

You can try the following work around. Create a dummy user for each of your groups. This could be the name of your group, but you could give it any name really. Set your database groups property to 'separate groups'. Enter the homework activities being logged in as this 'user'. Now if anyone from that group accesses the database they will see those activies/records whereas they will be hidden from any other group. If you are logged in as yourself and enter an activity that will be seen by all the groups - use that method for activities assigned to all the groups.

When you, as the teacher, look at the list of activities you can 'filter' it to show only the activities of one of the groups - or all the activities.

You can use the Url field to have links to your Hot Potatoes. When you go to the list of Hot Potato quizzes and right click on the link of the Hot Potato you want to be linked, you can copy the link. Copy that into the Url field. Now you can access the Activity from the database record.

Regards
Marius