Incorrect "Overall average" numbers on Grader Report

Incorrect "Overall average" numbers on Grader Report

by Eric Broach -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

On the Grader Report for one of my courses, the numbers in the "Overall average" column seem incorrect. In the sample I am attaching, the grades on the quiz were 56 and 96 (out of a possible score of 100), but the Average for the column is 104, which shouldn't even be possible.

I tried changing the report preferences to show Grades Only, with no aggregation, but it had no effect. Does anyone know what is causing these averages to be incorrect, or how we can show just a simple average (or mean) for the grades in this column? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Broach

Houston, Texas, USA

Attachment Overall_Averages_Issue.png
In reply to Eric Broach

Re: Incorrect "Overall average" numbers on Grader Report

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Eric,
If this is the full view of what you have there (only 2 students, yes? no groups?) , then I believe you either have some bug going on sad , or you have used some calculations in the categories and items tab. I would heck Multiplicator column there too.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Eric Broach -

Thanks, Elena. The student accounts listed there were used for testing purposes only, so the attempts and the Test Account were deleted. We started the real class today with 15 students, and after they took their first quiz, the overall average was correct. So it may have had something to do with that old Test Account. I will continue to keep an eye on the averages and let you know if there's a problem again, but for now, it looks like the problem may have gone away on its own.

Thanks again for the advice.

- Eric

In reply to Eric Broach

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

I am using 1.9.9 and I seem to have a similar problem. I have a somewhat large class, with a number of catagories, grade items, and students. This screen shot shows just the bottom of the grader view for some grade items. As you can see, the averages for the grade items are all above the total grade range for those items with student submissions.

overall averages greater than the grade range

The catagories are all using weighted averages, and the averages do not add up to 100%. Even so, I don't see why that would mess up averages for individual grade items.

Any ideas? Is this a bug, or am I missing something?