Permissions for Non Editing teacher to NOT view Journals

Permissions for Non Editing teacher to NOT view Journals

by Rhonda Miga -
Number of replies: 2
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me here.

Set up:
we have 3 courses set up with non editing teachers. These courses are fed into another course as a "child course."

In the child course we have journals that are intended to be a private location students can journal (we provide journaling prompts, etc.)

However, because the non-editing teacher role has moved over with the "child course," I cannot remove that role from the course that has the journals.

My question: How can I override the non-editing teachers ability to read and reply to journal entries? This is NOT something our non-editing teachers need to be able to do.

So, 1. would I be able to override the permission in the course where the journals are? or 2. would I need to set this override in the 3 courses where the non-editing role has been assigned.

....and if so what permission would I prevent (there is not a Journal section in the override area)

Bottom line... we don't want the non-editing teacher to view journal entries made by students.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rhonda Miga

Re: Permissions for Non Editing teacher to NOT view Journals

by ben reynolds -
Wouldn't it be easier to use groups & groupings? Put the journals in a group called "Private" and put the non-editing teacher in a group called "Public." Make the journals available only to group or grouping "Private."

I can't give you specifics of this because we don't use Journal.
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Permissions for Non Editing teacher to NOT view Journals

by Rhonda Miga -
No groups wont work b/c once they finish one course they move to another but we want them to have continued access to their journaling area.

We cycle groups of students through Phase I of the program every 6 weeks. They learn about and start their journaling at that time. Then they move to Phase II of the program.

When we set up "groups" members have to deal with the pull down menu and choose the group they are in, etc. We have found groups to be cumbersome when members may belong to more than one group, in regard to, getting them to choose the correct group when posting.

It seems like a simple enough task... to remove the permission to "view" journals. However, journal is not even an activity listed in the override permissions area.

Thank you in advance for you input. Have an awesome weekend!