Entering In-class Exam Scores Into Gradebook

Entering In-class Exam Scores Into Gradebook

by Mark Sargent -
Number of replies: 7

My students just took an exam in class that is worth a maximum of 150 points. I would like to know how to post this exam scores using the Moodle gradebook.

I tried adding an off-line activity, but the grade scale only goes up to 100. Any suggestions?

In reply to Mark Sargent

Re: Entering In-class Exam Scores Into Gradebook

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I wonder if this might be of help (if you are using 1.9.5)?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Sargent -
I'm not sure which version I am using. How do I tell?
In reply to Mark Sargent

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Mark

You can create a scale for this exam (your own scale)

and about Moodle version,

pass the mouse over the Moodle logo at the bottom of front page, you'll see the version

cheers smile

In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Mark Sargent -
I went to create a scale, it looks like the only scales it allows me to do are like:

Poor, good, excellent

and the like.

In reply to Mark Sargent

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can create any scale you like, with numbers or words or a combination.
In reply to Mark Sargent

by Elena Ivanova -
If you have 1.8 or below, you will either need to create a separate assignment worth of 50 points to record the rest of the grades, or you will need to hack moodle code to allow bigger grade range in the assignment tool.
In 1.9, you can also hack core smile for assignments, or create manual gradable items out of 150 points via the Administration > Grades > Categories and Items (and then Grade manually in the Grader report)
In reply to Mark Sargent

by Rod Spears -
Hello Mark,

If you are using 1.9.5, the simplest way to do this would be to manually add a "grade item" to your Gradebook. If you are not using 1.9.5 you can still try this because I am not sure which version first offered this option.

Course Admin menu > Grades > Categories and items > Simple view

Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the "Add a grade item" button.
Enter the data required - the "Item name" shows up in the gradebook.
Grade type = Value
Maximum grade = 150
Save changes!

When you are ready to enter the grades this will have to be done directly in the Gradebook. It would be a good idea to turn on "quick grading" and "show quick feedback" in your gradebook "my preferences" page.
Course administration menu > Grades > My preferences > Grader report > Scroll to the bottom of the page and select yes for both options.

Follow these steps when you are ready to enter the grades.
Course administration menu > Grades > View > Grader report > Turn editing on
After you turn editing on, you will see blank boxes where you can enter the grade directly. If you choose to enter grades like this be sure to click the "Update" button at the bottom of the page to save the grades. You can also click the edit icon, which will open a more detailed form which allows you to enter the grade and more data if needed. There is a "save changes" button at the bottom of each of these forms.

If you choose to create a custom scale for grade items like this you will be required to create a new one every time the total number of possible points is different. It is much quicker to to manually create a grade item and just type in the total possible points.

One disadvantage of using this method is that the grade item will not show up on the course page like the "Offline Assignment" type will. However, it does show up where it counts - in the student's grader report and in your gradebook.

If you choose to create a custom scale for 150 possible points you will need to be sure that your site administrator has enabled the setting on the front page for "Include scales in aggregation." If this setting is enabled, it may also cause problems across your entire site because some teachers may not want to include scales in the aggregation of grades for their course. Moodle translates all custom scales into a numeric value before aggregating that grade and this will result in some unexpected final grade averages in courses that use a lot of custom scales.

Please read this info from Moodle Docs before you choose to use a custom scale.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Scales#Values_calculated_as_percentage_scores