"Display replies in nested form"????

"Display replies in nested form"????

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 3
This may seem like a silly question, but I am trying to get a handle on what displaying replies in a nested form means. If I click on a single message in this form, it seems to display a single message. If I look at the first message in a thread in this form, however, it seems to show me the whole thread.

I've even looked at the French, German, Arabic and Italian language packs to see if I can get some clue about what this phrase means from the way they are translated into these languages, but even that doesn't help me.

A simple explanation would be much appreciated, because I am just not catching on by looking at what it does...shy
Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: "Display replies in nested form"????

by Gustav W Delius -
As far as I understand the "nested form" displays all posts from a thread in full, with replies indented below their parents. This ability to display all posts from a thread in expanded form is one of the big advantages of the Moodle forums.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by N Hansen -
Yes, I see, it's like threaded form, but in threaded form, the messages are collapsed.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
You know, maybe it would make more sense in the standard language pack to call threaded:

"Display replies in threaded form, collapsed"

and to call nested:

"Display replies in threaded form, expanded"

This is how I always heard these things referred to, as "collapsed" and "expanded." I never heard the term "nested" used before I came to Moodle.