- From Categories and Items tab:
- Set main grade category (name of course) to Weighted
- Add two subcategories with aggregation method of "Sum of Points":
- Ungraded with weight of 0%
- Grades with weight of 100%
Result: Students know the total points for the course, they know their cumulative total already graded (against the maximum available) and they know their current grade.
Unfortunately this brings us back to that old grading model of "making the system exclude ungraded items" but its either that or dealing with a category or course total that isn't displayable as total points available.