Changing Weight for Teacher Assessments

Changing Weight for Teacher Assessments

by Bob McKay -
Number of replies: 2
I have a serious problem with assessments for some workshops that have already been submitted and student-assessed. I realise that this module is about to be replaced, but unfortunately I'm stuck right now, so any help would be greatly appreciated. My problem is, the student assessments in quite a few cases are way out of whack (this workshop involves qualitative assessment of English writing, mostly by second-language-learners, so it's a tough exercise for them). I need to adjust the scores. With the default teacher weighting of 1, the results are far from acceptable.

The help button for "Weight for Teacher Assessments" in the workshop creation/editing page says:
  • "This option can be changed at any time during the assignment."
..which is why I didn't try to make the decision about teacher assessment weighting up-front. On the other hand, Laura Christensen's on-line guide says:
  • "The Weight for Teacher Assessment can not be changed after work has been submitted."
Can anyone confirm which is correct? (my experience seems to suggest Laura's guide is, but it would be helpful to know for sure that this is the source of my problems). If it is correct, is there any way for me to override the scores short of completely scrubbing the assignment within moodle and manually allocating scores? (I'm happy to delve into the php and fiddle with it if anyone can give a pointer as to where/why this is happening)

Thanks for any help
Bob
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob McKay

Re: Changing Weight for Teacher Assessments

by Bob McKay -
I'm sorry, the help button is correct (found after heaps of php-ing). The weight _can_ be changed. I was confused by a misunderstanding of the effect of "release teacher scores" (I thought the scores I was seeing were what the students would see once the teacher scores were released; in fact, they're just the student-based scores. I was _very_ puzzled why my scores were being largely ignored - now I know!
In reply to Bob McKay

Re: Changing Weight for Teacher Assessments

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Bob, thanks a lot for your observations and for sharing them! I was trying to simplify all these processes in Workshop 2.0 so hopefully the grading will be more intuitive. Stay tuned - beta testing should be available soon (three weeks or so to publish a test site).

d.