Administrator locked out

Administrator locked out

by .. .. -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me pelase?

Recently I changed the front page settings from 'none' to 'employee'.

Once I did this I could not edit the front page.

Secondly, I set employee to override administrator. Once this occurred, I lost all administrator rights.

I would have thought Moddle would have a built in failsafe to prevent the dministrator being locked out.

Is this a bug I have discovered, or is this action ot be expected with these settings?

Thanks.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to .. ..

Re: Administrator locked out

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I would have thought Moddle would have a built in failsafe to prevent the administrator being locked out.
Well, no, not really. Howeve, it is a common mistake and if you look here there's a solution:
In reply to Mary Cooch

by .. .. -

Thanks Mary,

I would have though Moodle had some failsafe too.

Regarding the front page settings:

I was not locked out of moodle (via username password etc) but was prevented from seeing the editing button on the front page (as an employee/student would be prevented from seeing it). The front page setting link dissapeared from the dmin menu, making it impossible to turn it back from 'employee' to 'none' again.

Regarding the overrides, I lost all editing privelidges.

I'm on a network, so cannot give you access
I'm afraid.

Thanks.

Che

In reply to .. ..

by Mark Williams -

We had a similar problem with an older version of Moodle and resolved it by editing the database directly to override the setting then swapped it basck in moodle settings to ensure that any other changes that our back end tinkering had not found would be altered too.

I'm sorry i cant remember the table we edited but it was only one entry we changed.

Now that the roles have been introduced though I would look in the role assignment tables and chech which role is assigned to administrator now.

In reply to Mark Williams

by .. .. -

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. We have restored the database to an earlier time. Its a shame though that this can be achieved. I would have thought that this sort of occurance should not happen. Not that I'm complaining too loudly when moodle is free.