Is Moodle for me?

Is Moodle for me?

by Jen Dangelo -
Number of replies: 2

Here is my situation - I work for a Small Business Development Center. We offer training seminars to the community. We would like to offer all of these in an online format as well as in the classroom. These classes would be in video, PowerPoint w/audio, and traditional text formats.

What I need is a system that will give each user a specific name and then track what courses that user takes so we receive credit for our training. I also need to be able to print some kind of reports that tell who took what class at the end of each quarter.

Ultimately, this system needs to be something I can present to other SBDC's as a pilot for thier own online training. How high is the learning curve for this program? I have a technical background, but most of the people I need to teach this program to will not.

What do you think - suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jen Dangelo

Re: Is Moodle for me?

by Paula Clough -

Jen,

It sounds as if Moodle would work great for you.  It can handle a variety of materials and resources...text, video, etc.  It also allows for forum disctussions etc. if you are interested in online students interacting.  As long as your students are enrolled in the class, you will have a record.  At the end of a quarter you can either back up the course with all user data and save the back up for future reference and then reset the course which can unenroll all those still in the course or you can make a new course by a simple extension of the backup/restore process for the new quarter, leaving the old course open to the students have taken it previously.  That last option would leave it so that students could go back in latter to review materials and resources at a latter date.

There are many posibilities.  You also have the advantage of this website with lots of users in many areas of experience to help you out. If you need expertise and have the funds, there are also Moodle Partners in many countries around the world that can provide training and/or provide hosting of your courses if you don't want to run your own server.

You might want to add a third party module such as the certificate module to give each participant a certificate they can have when they finish the class. 

I hope this helped... let us know if you have more questions.

cool

In reply to Jen Dangelo

Re: Is Moodle for me?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> What I need is a system that will ...
>
> Ultimately, this system needs to be something I can present to other SBDC's as a pilot for thier own online training.

Sure, for that you need to know a "system" which usually takes more than a single day on a new plattform. Why don't you try it? There are a few suggesions in this discussion: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134586

Just one example to show that such a system is difficult to design on a drawing board: Any tool has its own set of terms, Moodle is no exception. Since Moodle comes from the public school system, most of these terms a borrowed from there. as a result pretty easy to understand. The application seems to be adult traing. So I think your "class" is not really a class of learners going through the same treatment, rather a "lesson" in Moodle.