problem with new translator guidelines in php-files

problem with new translator guidelines in php-files

by koen roggemans -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The guideline for thislanguage says
thislanguage << TRANSLATORS: Specify the name of your language here. If possible use Unicode Numeric Character References >>

So I've put nl , witch is the utf-8 for nl.

The result is this lign of characters as the name of the language in the language menu.

I'm going to change it bach to ascii, but where is the problem here or where is the point of the guideline?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to koen roggemans

Re: problem with new translator guidelines in php-files

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The problem is that NCR is not UTF-8. The reason for using NCR is so the menu works under any language. It's not needed at all for most European languages. You can see these when you "view source" on a page with the language menu. (Note that you still need to have fonts for each language on your system).

Some examples:

Chinese: &#20013;&#25991;    >>> 中文

Greek: &#917;&#955;&#955;&#951;&#957;&#953;&#954;&#940;    >>> Ελληνικά
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Found Babelpad to play with these things and it works for cleaning up the language dropdownmenu. I start with the new Bulgarian, but I will work down the list to correct them all.

by koen roggemans -
So, they are in CVS, exept for ar: I mailed the translator to look at it first -> if I made a mistake ... who knows what I wrote big grin

by koen roggemans -
Still no answer from the arab translator. I also posted it in the arab community.
I did my best sad
Anyone who can read arab around? Pleas confirm that it's correctly written (see attachement)

by dovix :) -
It doesn't look right.

Please compare to "Arabic" in the 2nd tab from the right side at the top of this site:

http://linux-kinneret.org/index-en.html

The 1st tab from the right side is "Hebrew".

The site uses utf-8 encoding.

In reply to dovix :)

by koen roggemans -

Thanks, I'll take a closer look at the arab. It probably should be &#65165;&#65247;&#65228;&#65198;&#65169;&#65268;&#65172;

You can use &#1506;&#1489;&#1512;&#1497;&#1514; in the "thislanguage" string if you want. Hebrew wil show up in Hebrew smile (very beautiful by the way smile )

Translator's how to (not the easy way, but it works)

I starting adding "Hebrew" to the 'he' language files.

In utf-8 it looks loke this:

עברית

In order to create this string, here's what I had to do:

1. Locate the hexadecimal codes of the word. To do this, just get the proper codes from http://www.unicode.org/charts/

2. The codes given there need to be converted to decimal. For example, 05E2 would translate to 1506. If you use Linux, just start KCalc, select 'Hex', enter the code, then select 'Dec' to convert it.

3. Create the string as shown above. The general structure is &#xxxx; where 'xxxx' is the decimal number.

4. You have to go through this only once, just make sure you save this string in some text file.

Good luck!

Re: Translator's how to (not the easy way, but it works)

by koen roggemans -
Can you send me "Hebrew" in Hebrew? (UTF-8 or NCR)

See attached.

by daniel ginerman -
דוביקס שלום,
יש לי בעיה חמורה עם העברית בתוצאות החיפושים בתוך מודל.
בתוך האתר הכל פועל יפה, אך כשאני משתמש במנוע החיפוש הפנימי "לחפש בכל הפורומים", התוצאות בעברית יוצאות בקודים מספריים בלתי יעילים לחלוטין.
יש לך איזה רעיון בנושא?
תודה בהקדם,

דניאל
http://eduplanet.net

In reply to daniel ginerman

by koen roggemans -
How revealing ??? clown

by Jan Dierckx -
I don't know if everyone is as curiuos as I am, but I just had to find out...

Hello Dobiks,
I have severe problem with the Hebrew by the results of the searches [searches result] inside Moodle. Inside the site everything acts pretty, but when I use the inner search engine " to search in all the forums ", the results in Hebrew exit in the codes of inefficient scissors [inefficient scissors code] absolutely. You have which idea in the subject?
Thank you early, Daniel.

Daniel, could you tell us some more about the part which wrongly translated as inefficient scissors code?