1.95 gradebook doesn't line up

1.95 gradebook doesn't line up

by Liz Cross -
Number of replies: 6

I have 1.95 installed on my test version of Moodle and have noticed that the grades don't line up with the student names, it it because we have used categories in the gradebook?  Is there any fix? I have tried changing themes but it didn't make any difference.  Please see attached screenshot.

Attachment Gradebook.gif
In reply to Liz Cross

Re: 1.95 gradebook doesn't line up

by Bill Kopf -
I remember reading in another post that the assignment titles are too long. If they can be kept to one line then it will align much better. A search in the gradebook forum area should be able to find that original answer.
In reply to Bill Kopf

by Doug Baleshta -
We are also encountering the same problem. We've managed to trace it to three themes that are causing the problem in Firefox on our server.
Chameleon, Custom Corners and Moodalis Tango. For some reason, in IE 7 it shows ok. I would like to hear from others..

Doug
In reply to Doug Baleshta

by Liz Cross -

Thanks for your comments.  We do use our own theme but I have experimented with Custom Corners which also has problems.  I have now just tried formal_white and orange_white and still the same problem though not quite as out of line.  We use IE 7 as our browser across campus. 

If it is the assignment names that are causing a problem then I think I am going to have trouble trying to get teachers to use shorter names - they like to use something that describes the content of the assignment.

In reply to Liz Cross

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Here are a few ways to solve your problem (you might have to use a few):
  • Try the latest 1.9.5+ (see this post)
  • See this post where there is a possible fix.
  • I think if you disable the static 'Student name' column your problem will be solved.
  • Force the headers to only display a few characters (by hacking the code) - this will make your gradebook narrower (and cause your headers to be unreadable)- See here - Useful if you use lots of categories & sub categories
  • Change the CSS of your theme(s) so that the headers are not wrapped (this will make your gradebook wider) as follows:
.heading_name_row th {
whitespace: nowrap;
}
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

by Susan Mangan -
Ditto, same problem. We are running 1.9.5 (build: 20090826)

We ended up having to disable the static 'student name' column since the scroll bar kept getting 'lost' in the parent window and instructors didn't know to scroll down! And because of the wrapping line-up problems.

To help our instructors view their gradebooks with more ease we limit the number of entries to 8 per page. Although I'm very surprised there is no 'show all' link ??!! I've already had a few complaints over this but limiting the records does make it more useable for the majority.

Thanks for the tips, very useful smile

Susan
In reply to Liz Cross

by Nancy Evans -

We had the exact same problem with IE6 and our systems folks applied a patch.

However, I find that we still have the problem in IE 7 but not to the same extent.

Any ideas.