FYI: Work on Question Engine for future

FYI: Work on Question Engine for future

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi,
Notice that Tim Hunt has added a series of pages Development:Question Engine 2 in MoodleDocs of changes that maybe happening in 2.0 and 2.1 concerning Quiz. This may have some indirect impacts on Lesson. While I am not into the Moodle code, I found it interesting.

For the adventuresome, take a look at the OpenMark (Open University) link he put in to show some adaptive feedbacks potentials. This is somewhat different from the adaptive model used by Lesson, which is similar to an adaptive (testing) process. The OpenMark example has different feedbacks based upon the student choice and the number of the attempt. Lesson can give different feedbacks based upon the choice made in a question. Lesson's adaptive nature comes from the jumps, that can send the student to another page after they receive feedback. Hard to say, but it looks like this does not happen in the OpenMark example. In short, I do not think it is going to replace Lesson.

Best Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: FYI: Work on Question Engine for future

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for starting this thread Chris.

I will just add that I hope that my changes will make it easier for other modules like lesson to use questions from the Moodle question bank (something that has been talked about for a long time). Therefore I key bit to look at is Development:Question_Engine_2:Design#API_for_modules_using_the_question_engine.

Actually, the details of that are already out of date, I was trying out implementing the key parts of this plan yesterday (before finishing writing the design evil) and the design was evolving as I did so. But it is still right in spirit, and I would very much like feedback from writers of other modules.