Why bestgrade in student index.php view when quiz may be average graded

Why bestgrade in student index.php view when quiz may be average graded

аз Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 3

I have some quizes that award the students a grade based upon their maximum score, and others that are based upon their average score over their attempts.

A student pointed out to me that the student view of index.php shows a final column headed with translation string "$strbestgrade," which least in the Japanese translation $strbestgrade is the equivalent of "maximum grade."  

The difference between "grade" and "score" is not apparent to students (or me in normal non-moodle parlance) so this leads students to believe that all quizes are marked based on the best score.

The column in the student (or now equiv role) contains a variable called $bestgrade

But despite the naming of these two variables, and the translation of the former, when the quiz is based upon average grade, then the variable "$bestgrade" contains the average grade (as it really should I think).

But $strbestgrade really does seem to be "bestgrade"

$strbestgrade  = get_string("bestgrade", "quiz");

I am changing this line to

$strbestgrade  = get_string("grade", "quiz");

Because it is not the "best" of anything.

And I think that the variable names should be changed too.

But perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick. Can a bug this elementary come to light now? Surely not.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Why bestgrade in student index.php view when quiz may be average graded

аз Timothy Takemoto -

Come to think of it

• In a sense the grade that one recieves from a test that is graded upon average *score* can be seen to be ones "best *grade*," so perhaps it could be argued that this is not a bug at all, just a niggle with wording, userbility or understandability.
  • Thus this is far from "elementary".
  • I and probably many other admins do no see it because we don't log in as students. And it shows how much my students don't like being treated as rats and do not want to be bother to let me know about niggles.
  • I have not checked the bug tracker. It is probably there already.
  • It is clear that this issue has been partly addressed since the number displayed by $bestgrade is the average score for average graded tests.

I'll post a bug even if minor. Please say the word.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Why bestgrade in student index.php view when quiz may be average graded

аз Tim Hunt -
Сурати  корбар Core developers Сурати  корбар Documentation writers Сурати  корбар Particularly helpful Moodlers Сурати  корбар Peer reviewers Сурати  корбар Plugin developers
I think this is a minor bug, but it is just that no one has noticed this before. If it had been put in the tracker, I am sure I would have fixed it by now.

MDL-20420. Is now fixed.