Fast tests with a time penalty, e.g. vocabulary tests

Fast tests with a time penalty, e.g. vocabulary tests

by Timothy Takemoto -
Number of replies: 4

Often it does not matter too much how fast a learner can retrieve knowledge, not into the seconds anyway.

If someone can tell you the capital of Eritria in 20 seconds, then it is not that imporant that they can do the same in 10.

However, when it comest to language vocabulary, then if the test taker has enough time to look up the vocab being tested on their electronic dictionary, or on the list of vocab to be learned for that class, then there is no way to tell if they have learnt the vocabulary at all.

And vocabulary is a skill, like er dancing. If you can only do it only slowly, after much thought, then you might as well not be able to do it at all. The speed at which one can do a skill is often part of the measure of the extent to which one has mastered that skill.

Given enough time 
I might beat a fairly good chessplayer, if I took a week per move. 
I could answer any question on any subject that is googlable.
I could get full marks on a Croatian vocab test.

Somtimes, time, in the seconds, is of the essence. 

There is a really good vocab learning site for Japanese leaners of English at
http://tangoriki.com
It throws vocabulary tests at the user and judges score not only by the number of correct answers but also by the time take to respond. To get full marks the user has to respond within about 20 seconds and get all the answers right.

I would like to be able to set a 10 word matching question test, and give full marks to those that answer in under about 25 seconds, trailing off to lower or even zero marks for those that take a minue.

My question: have there been any hacks or is there now functionality to include *time taken to answer a test* as a determinant of grade?

Tim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: Fast tests with a time penalty, e.g. vocabulary tests

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Timothy,
Have you considered using Hot Potatoes, which has a timer included?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks Joseph

No...

But then, the quiz has a timer included too.

Does hot potatoes allow time taken to answer to effect grade?

Anyway...hot potatoes is something that I am not familiar with these days. Also it may be monetised in various ways (good on you Gordon).

I'd rather stick to the moodle quiz.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I guess this could be covered by MDL-4309. It is a reasonable suggestion, but I don't think anyone has implemented it yet.

This also reminds me of the recent suggestions for a module that keeps presenting students with questions from a category in the question bank. A module like that could have another mode where the students get a certain amount of time to do as many randomly selected questions as they can in that time.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Timothy Takemoto -

Yes MDL-4309. The "pie in the sky bit" at the end would be the same, except on a much smaller time scale. Well spotted.