End backup with ERROR

End backup with ERROR

by Stephen Henneberry -
Number of replies: 6
For some reason, my automated backups are just not working.
All my Backup Emails come to me blank. I checked the Config--Backup--Logs page, and it just reads "error, error, error..." right down the line. I tried changing the "save to" directory, but that does nothing. The permissions seem OK, all the folders are set to 755, so I am at a loss.
I don't know if this will shed any light on this, or not, but my server is running version 4.3.9 of PHP on the Linux operating system.
I also found this our via the database module:

#1016 - Can't open file: 'mdl_backup_files.MYI'. (errno: 145) (0 rows)

Perhaps if I delete/rebuild this file from scratch my problem will go away...
Can someone give me a screenshot of what that data file looks like so that I can set it up? (Is there an easier way?)

Any ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Henneberry

Re: End backup with ERROR

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Stephen,

You should try to "REPAIR" that table. It can be done easily with the phpMyAdmin utility or using mysql command line interpreter.

Once solved that problem, it's possible that your backup starts working because the mdl_backup_files is crucial to do the work.

Another possible resource of information is the information visualised if, in the backup logs page, you click over the course name. Then the view will change to log details of execution for that course. The info is showed by day. If you can send here the output for one day, we can confirm if your problem is related with your DB issue.

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Stephen Henneberry -
Eloy,
Thank you for the information. I ended up solving this problem (mostly) the other night by deleting and replacing the crashed tables. I exported the data structure of the tables from a local copy of moodle, then inserted them into my working copy. So far it seems to have solved the problem, although I still get a few errors and incompletes.
This was the Backup Notification that I received this morning:
Summary
==================================================
Courses: 14
OK: 12
Error: 0
Unfinished: 2

Some of your courses weren't saved!!

As you suggested, I checked the logs for the "unfinished" courses, and it seems that it ends after almost completing Phase 2. The last line is "zipping files". So it seems that the error would be in the "copying backup" process... but why only for two courses?
Any ideas?
In reply to Stephen Henneberry

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Stephen,

If the last line in your "unfinished" backup logs is "zipping files", then the error is happening there, just when zipping files. This can be caused by 3 main reasons:
  1. Filenames containing strange characters. Review if this is the cause.
  2. Some file is not readable in your course. Check perms.
  3. Course too big to be processed by the PclZip (internally used by Moodle) zip library. It has a memory problem with big files. Try using external zip executables or increasing the memory_limit php value in "cron.php" and/or php settings.

Hope this helps...ciao smile

by Albert Kapune -
Hello,

I have the same problem using "Moodle 1.4.2 nearly (2004083121)". I performed a mySQL database repair to be sure, however, with no result (the tables are ok). 8 of my 10 coures get saved, backing up the 2 other ones always stops at the "logs" line in Phase 2:

22:50:17 Phase 2: Executing and copying:
22:50:17 checking temp structures
22:50:17 cleaning current dir
22:50:17 creating backup file
22:50:17 general info
22:50:17 sections info
22:50:17 user info
22:50:18 categories & questions
22:50:18 logs

Do you have an idea?

Thank you and kind regards
Albert
In reply to Albert Kapune

Hi Albert,

what happens if you try to backup that problematic course by hand (from the course's backup link?). Do you see anything strange there (having debug enabled for this test is recommended).

Ciao smile

by Albert Kapune -
Sorry that I forgot to mention: The manual backup always works. And during last night's backup something strange happened: The problematic courses got saved, another one instead failed:

01:50:17 Start backup course GK 11/II
01:50:17 Phase 1: Checking and counting:
01:50:17 checking parameters
01:50:17 calculating backup name
01:50:17 calculating modules data
01:50:17 assignment
01:50:17 chat
01:50:17 choice
01:50:17 forum
01:50:17 glossary
01:50:17 journal
01:50:18 label
01:50:18 lesson
01:50:18 quiz
01:50:18 resource
01:50:18 scorm
01:50:18 survey
01:50:18 wiki
01:50:18 workshop
01:50:18 calculating users
01:50:18 calculating logs
01:50:18 calculating user files
(it stopped here)

I am quite sure the nothing has been changed in the those courses since the second to laste backup (we have autumn holidays in Germany and the lapse of time between the two latter ones was only a few hours at night).

If it is of any use, here is the backup summary of my courses (»Fehler« means error):

fehler.jpg

What else could I do?

Thank you very much again
Albert