Moodle for Windows is a must - very highly recommended

Re: Moodle for Windows is a must - very highly recommended

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 51
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well,

names apart (I've called it "Moodle4Windows" wink), you can try it from:

http://cent.uji.es/moodlemoot/files/Moodle4Windows.zip
(hosted by courtesy of the "Jaume I University" at Spain)

It weights 28MB. Some important notes are:

Features:
Easy and quick installer (have your Moodle's server running in 5 minutes).Everything is packaged in one folder (Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin & Moodle).Woks under Windows 2000 and XP systems.All the tedious and required Apache & PHP settings are automatically configured.
Dinamically create the MySQL database and change "root" password.
Easy to backup, upgrade and uninstall.

Moodle
1.4.2 nearly
(2004083122) - 28MB
Important notes:
  • Requires
    Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
  • Destination host cannot have other http,
    https or mysqld servers running.
  • Only suitable for new installations.
Installation guide:
  • Download and unzip to your desired location.
  • Execute "setup_xampp".
  • To start the server, execute "xampp_start" (under
    the main directory).
  • Goto http://localhost.
  • Follow installation steps.
  • Enjoy!
  • To stop the server, execute "xampp_stop" (under
    the main directory).

It includes a special "1.4.2 nearly" release with some "small surprises" built-in. How this package is going to be mantained and/or distributed in the future is something to decide...

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by julio rodriguez -

I recommend download moodle for windows with easyphp its more easy to configure than xammp .

Re: Install Moodle on a USB drive in less than 5 minutes!

by John Gone -
Hey Eloy, I've just installed using your 1.4.2 nearly and want to say Thanks! This is a very slick setup you've given us here. Super easy, super fast and so easy even I can do it.

This is definitely worth a look for anyone wanting to try Moodle on their own. When it's all done, but before using it, it is around 59MB so this is ideal for USB thumbdrive install. You don't have to do anything, this does it all for you, try it.

After you've extracted the contents it gives you a local Moodle site in under 5 minutes, this is slick! There is nothing to configure. If there's a bad point it is that you won't learn anything about how to configure a server because you won't get to see anything happening, it just works.

Thanks again Eloy
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
I am certainly going to give this a shot. On January 8, I will be doing a session about our Moodle experiences at our state edtech conference and I want to have this in case i cannot get online (which happened last year at this conference).

Thanks!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by John Gone -
How'd you make out with this Art? Done yet or haven't tried yet?
In reply to John Gone

Re: Install Moodle on a USB -- 'Floodle'

by Reeny George -

I tried a slightly different approach using 'Uniform Server 3.2' on a USB Flash Drive. With 'moodle 1.5 dev' (removed files for langauges other than  English), the whole setup takes less than 40MB and can be accessed from intranet or internet with the following config file

<?php  /// Moodle Configuration File

unset($CFG);

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysql';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname    = 'moodle';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'moodler';
$CFG->dbpass    = 'zzzzzzz';
$CFG->dbpersist =  false;
$CFG->prefix    = 'mdl_';

$CFG->wwwroot   = "http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/moodle";

$CFG->dirroot   = 'W:\\www\\moodle';
$CFG->dataroot  = 'W:/moodledata';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 02777;

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");
// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
// RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
?>

Already Moodle helped our parish priest in his recent 'Tsunami Aid Appeal'. May be  Floodle can help the aid agencies working in the region
to turn some of the existing Computers (with USB ports and Windows 9x, Me, 2k or XP) to powerful learning tools by pushing in a 'Floodle Drive' to the USB port- all with out modifying anything on the computer. There is even more potential by attaching a wireless link...

Reeny

Attachment floodle.gif
In reply to Reeny George

by John Hobson -

Hi

Sounds great so I tried it, but I am getting an error message when I try to connect.

I am connecting to http://localhost/moodle/ and getting an error message saying

"Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php"

I deleted all the language files except "en" before connecting - I don't think that should hav any effect should it?

I have tried it with "Root" and "" replacing your passwords (this is what I had set on my hard drive version, but it seems to make no difference.

I can see the server running at http://localhost/a/ butif I try to log on to the "run mysql server page" I get

Security alert!
Possible attack HTTP_REFERER is not localhost. but ''.
(to disable this warning go: /home/admin/CGI/Secure.pm) 

Any ideas? It would be great to get this woring for demos.

Regards

John

In reply to John Hobson

by Reeny George -

Hi

1. run the batch file 'start.bat' (located under UniServer3_2 directory)
2. Goto  http://localhost/a/   press Run MySQL Server
3. Goto  http://localhost/moodle/  to view the 'Main Menu' page.
 When I got the same error, ("Error: Database connection failed. It is possible that the database is overloaded ...." ), http://localhost/a/phpMyAdmin-2.6.0-beta2/  enabled me to make sure that mysql server was running and that user 'moodler' and password were all set properly for the database 'moodle'. Floodle 'phpMyAdmin UserOverview' is attached . Yes, keeping /not keeping all the languages is not the cause of  that error. Why not recheck using phpMyAdmin?

The 'floodle' is working perfectly  for me and it was copied  to few harddisks - all working. However, such a setup on a harddisk is no more a 'floodle' !

Reeny

Attachment phpmyadmin-floodle.jpg
In reply to Reeny George

by John Hobson -

Hi Reeny

I have a floodle!

In the end I had to comment out the security check in /home/admin/CGI/Secure.pm and then, when I had SQL running OK, I re-installed Moodle.

I have deleted the lang files except english and copied it all to a 64 Mb USB drive where it seesm to be quite happy, if not as fast as it was on my hard disk.

Thanks

John

In reply to John Hobson

by Reeny George -
Hi John

Happy to know that floodle is now fully functional. The beauty of the setup,as you might have noticed already, is that one can access it from any of the network linked computers.
Floodle on 64MB is going to encourage a lot more people to keep a ' moodle on flash disk' handy. 

Thanks

Reeny

In reply to Reeny George

by John Hobson -

Hmmm

My laptop only has USB 1 and the transfer from my oldish 64Mb USB drive is so slow that Moodle times out. Restoring a course exceeded the allowed 300 seconds. And viewing it once I had restored on my hard disk and re-copied also timed out

I just about get away with it on my newer 128Mb drive, but it is still VERRRY slow compared to HDD or Broadband access.

J

In reply to John Hobson

by John Gone -
I have a USB Moodle too and use a slow USB 1 connection on one PC but it's never that slow. Something else wrong maybe?
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
I have installed Floodle(?) and it looks great when I access it via http://www.localhost/. But I do not know how to get to it from the Web. blush (When I try to go to my IP address, I get a message that indicates the "connection was refused," so I guess that is not how to do it.)

I will try to figure it out, but any tips from more experienced Moodlers would be appreciated, of course.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

Hmmm... Maybe I am just not seeing something...

Directions for Connecting to Moodle in a Box

o Step 1: Find your Moodle server's address If you are using Windows 95/98/ME, go to the start menu. Click on run and type "winipcfg" without the quotes. A program should appear with the IP address of your computer.

o If you are using Windows 2000/XP+, go to the start menu. Click on run and type "cmd /K ipconfig" without the quotes. Your IP address should appear on the screen. Type exit when you are finished viewing this.

Step 2: Connect to Moodle

o If the Moodle in a Box is installed on the machine that you are connecting from open a web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, etc.) and type the address: http://localhost

o If the Moodle in a Box is installed on another machine, open a web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, etc.) and type http:// followed by the IP address that you saw in Step 1. Remember, step 1 should be completed on the machine that you installed Moodle in a Box on.

If all goes well, you should have a fully functional Moodle server for your classes. If this is not the case, it may be time to contact the schools technical support staff for additional help.

In reply to Art Lader

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
A firewall blocking port 80?
In reply to koen roggemans

by Art Lader -
Maybe so... I will keep trying to figure it out.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by John Gone -
Hi Art, what router are you using? Have you poked a hole in it for net access?
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
I am using a Linksys router and have been trying to access the router via its web-based interface and cannot seem to get it to come up. I eitrher get a message saying the page cannot be displayed or that the browser timed out while trying to open the web page. Weird...

-- Art

--
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Hmmm... I think that my router conatins a server, too. It has an IP address of http://192.168.1.1. This might be leading to some sort of conflict. Maybe I should ininstall Floodle and see if I can then access my router's configuration page. If so, maybe I could change settings to permit WWW access and reinstall.

Other folks  are getting this to work, so my lack of experience is surely the root cause of this problem.

I guess unistalling Floodle just means deleting the easyphp folder and everything under it. Or not?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by John Gone -
I don't know about the server on your router but if you're not using it, disable it.
So you're unable to access your router interface?
Have you been able to in the past?
You'll have to get that straightened out first, of course.
After you do you'll have to configure your router to open a port. I recommend using a port number other than port 80. This allows you to by-pass an ISP block on port 80. If they don't now they will probably in the future. Then just open this port in your router.
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
Until today, I have never had a problem opening the router's config page. I will have to figure that out before I can do anything else.

The router is used to provide wireless Net access to a couple of laptops here at home. I guess that means that I am, indeed, using the server.

Oh, well, I will keep working on it.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Ray Lawrence -
This may be completely un-related but possible worth a look.

A couple of nights ago I attempted to run a new install of XAMPP on my PC. Apache would not run. After much fiddling around (and muttering) I discovered that Skype was the cuplrit.

If you have Skype installed, uncheck the box in "Connections" which sets port 80 as an alternative for incoming connections. I did this and everything was as it should be. smile

Ray

p.s was " http://www.localhost/ " in the post above a typo? It should be http://localhost.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Art Lader -

Don't have Skype and yes, http://www.localhost/, was, of course, a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

I connect to the Net via a Linksys router (model BEFW11S4) and I am thinking that is the cuplrit. Still fiddling...

Thanks,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Art, you say you have a few laptops at home. Can they reach your moodle by typing the lan ip-adress of your server? (it wil not work, since the path in your config.php should mention the ip adress of your router rather then the ip adres of your server)

If that works (an errormessage from moolde is enough), your router is to blame. On your router you should be able to map/direct an incoming request (eg on port 80 or if it's blocked 8080) to your servers ip adres on port 80

Your router being inaccessible could be caused by your browsers settings. Use IE and in the connection tab, advanced, uncheck all checkboxes (autodetect, proxyserver, ...) and try again.
In reply to Art Lader

by John Gone -
No server on the BEFW11S4. So all the computers on that network have access in & out and everything's as normal except none of the computers on the network can access the router? 
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
Does anyone know why XAMPP on XP can't serve a jpeg without displaying it properly. It's like the browser displays it before it's got all the data.
In reply to John Gone

Re: XAMPP on AMD500- image display problem

by John Gone -
Just re-read my previous post and it sounds like I think this is a XAMPP problem, not so.
I know this is due to my setup but don't know what's causing this.
I'm using an AMD500 with 320 megs of ram, XP and XAMPP with cable internet. Is it a hardware problem, software problem or lack of knowledge problem? Maybe a combination of all of these? Guesses are welcome as I'd like to know if it's possible to run a webserver with old, free and readily available parts.

The problem appears to be the way the software processes the image before it sends it. The process appears to fail to re-assemble the image properly. The file size is correct so it appears to be getting all of the necessary data, it just doesn't put it together right most of the time. Sometimes it works perfectly.

I've included a screenshot here, maybe someone will recognize this problem.
Attachment missingdata.jpg
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
Maybe a better approach to this problem would be to request information about doing this project with Linux instead of Windows. This has the obvious advantage of eliminating many security issues and much of the cost.

Ideally an admin would need very little information/training and wouldn't really need to be a geek. The idea is to find a way to make Moodle available to as many people as possible without needing a techie to run the server and a banker to bankroll the project.

There is so much free computer hardware available that is capable of running Moodle that I'd like to see what's possible. Much of this hardware was being used very recently by the people reading this, some people are still using this same hardware every day. I know the system wouldn't be fast, it definitely wouldn't be sexy, it won't win any awards but it could deliver a lot of information, lessons, knowledge and hope. I know I'm a bit of a contrarian and I know that there must be a few others out there.

I think this is a real possibility, now more than ever, as many areas in North America have adopted "green" policies regarding used electronic components. I think many people would find it acceptable to donate good hardware rather than pay to have it re-cycled. Re-using is better than re-cycling from an environmental point of view.

There is now so much excess bandwidth available that a small school or classroom could "piggyback" on un-used bandwidth located almost anywhere.

Any ideas or suggestions? All comments welcome... pro or con.
In reply to John Gone

by David Wilkinson -

John,

Since there was no response, and it was over a month old, I suspect that you fixed this problem.  However, just in case, this looks to me like you have a video driver or video card memory problem.

Regards,
David

In reply to David Wilkinson

by John Gone -
Thanks David. Nope, never did solve this problem. I'll try to fix using your suggestion.
Any computer displaying the images from that server sees them damaged. The server causes most, but not all, images to display as above. Your idea would be an easy solution, will let you know if this works.

Thanks
John
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
Thanks for the suggestion David. I've changed video cards and have the same issue.

Diagnostic note: If I access the server using localhost everything works perfectly. When I try to access over the net images and some php menus are not displayed. Does anyone know if the menu problem points to a related problem?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Eloy!
Thanks for making your Moodle4Windows package available. It saved my day when I recently started to experience serious problems with my "normal" Moodle 1.4 package installation (on my home computer, for testing purposes).
After completely deleting Apache, php, Moodle from my Windows XP machine & instaling Moodle4Windows instead, everything worked fine again!

I have, however, one remark and 2 questions re your package:

1. The readme_en.txt readme file which accompanies your package is confusing, because the installation process described is different from the one you describe in your Moodle post dated 3 Nov 2004. I however managed to overcome that.
  2. In that same readme_en.txt you refer to an \xampplite directory, and to PHPMyAdmin 2.5.7 but neither that directory nor that application seem to be present in Moodle4Windows. Why is that?
  3. I would like to test Moodle4Windows on an usb stick. I have copied the whole Moodle4Windows directory to a 64Meg stick (removing unwanted language modules). I have started xampp_start.exe from that key (g: on my machine)... but it seems that http://127.0.0.1/moodle/ still refers to my moodle installation on my hard disk C: ..... how can I make it "go" to the usb key on G: ?
Thanks again,

Joseph_R

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joseph,

1.-I cannot remember such post at all (was I drunk? wink). Anyway the installation process is so simple: Unzip, execute the setup_xampp file (only the first time) and then xampp_start and xampp_stop each time you want to start/stop it.

2.- About those readme files, I'm pretty sure that they are part of the original XAMPP package and I haven't written them. Simply ignore them! Follow the simpler instructions above.

3.- To move one xampp installation from one place to other you must execute again the setup_xampp (only once) in its new location. Then you must reconfigure config.php to your new location and it should be working again using xampp_start to start it of course. wink

Hope it helps...ciao smile

by John Gone -
try: http://localhost/yourmoodle

by John Hobson -
Also you may need to change your wwwroot and dataroot settings in config.php

J
In reply to John Hobson

by Timothy Takemoto -

I always find myself recommending "desktop moodle" to people, who want to try out moodle, or who are creating a lot of course content, and need a moodle installation with fast reaction times.

There seem to be at least three places to download various flavours of "desktop moodle"

Eloy's zip
Floyd's site
http://goohio.com/moodle/
with instructions at
http://tinyurl.com/6hcw7
And "moodle in a box" from Revitalise (who may I ask is this?)
http://revitalise.ncsa.uiuc.edu/resources/moodleinabox/

Sadly however, I do not know how to creat these myself, so that I might package 1.5 with perhaps an add on or two, and distribute it to interested parties.

If it were simple I could undertake to do this and put it on myserver.
Ideally, this package should be linked from the moodle homepage.

I would like to repeat how super duper these installer packages are (for Moodle beginners especially) and to thank Floyd, Eloy and the kind people at Revitalise for providing them.

I have long wondered about a anti-moodle-desktop vibe. I wonder that perhaps by making Moodle TOO portable it means that there is less likelihood that folks sign up with Moodle partners? Or that its availability elsewhere detracks from the main moodle site?

If that were the case then no matter how useful it may be, I hope that the "Moodle desktop" be doombed to software oblivion but, if not then I hope that this MD (nice initials) distribution gains more support. I am always finding the apparent necessity for a server to be the biggest stubling block for moodle trial-uptake. There are so many people who can install windows applications but baulk and switch off at the word "server" or "php." Once people have tried "Moodle Desktop" then it does very little for them until they install it on a server. I this light moodle-desktop is the ultimate in lost-leader, or shareware-trial-version; it gets people hooked.

Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Sean S -
I always find myself recommending "desktop moodle" to people, who want to try out moodle, or who are creating a lot of course content, and need a moodle installation with fast reaction times.

I never considered this aspect of moodle for windows. I only thought ti would be for people running a server using windows software. I will probably set up my second box as a place to develop new course content. Which I find takes a real long time via the browser interface.

Thanks for a great idea. And yes, I agree that this package(s) should be linked from the main site and easily found.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have been planning for ages to provide a 1.5 version of the XAMPP package with Moodle. I started with Eloy's and got bogged down with the install.php script and as you know have much else to do.

If someone can commit to building a Moodle.org-branded XAMPP+Moodle minumum-install (unzip and double-click) package for me on regular basis I'd be absolutely ecstatic to host it on the main download page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by elearning edu -
Hi Martin,
My suggestion is
1)use the floyd's windows installer - xampp + moodle 1.4
2)Install the same in the C drive for default installation
3)create MySQL config localhost with user name root  use moodle DB
4)Complete the installation of moodle
5)go to htdocs Select all the files and store it under a folder Moodle1.4
6)Unzip moodle1.5 and copy all the files to htdocs
7)copy the config.php file from moodle1.4 and paste the same in htdocs
8) go to localhost/admin and follow the upgrading from moodle 1.4 to 1.5
9)Zip the entire xampp and post it for downloads
Anyone can download the zipfile (approx 69 MB) and unzip it to cdrive and type localhost
Moodle will be ready for work
Nagarajan
In reply to elearning edu

by Timothy Takemoto -

What is the difference between a zip file and an installer? Is it size? 69MB seems very larger. The other thing is that it would be nice to have moodle appear (like any other program) as an icon in the start menu of programs.

To this end, I would like to recommend the Easy PHP version because it is not necessary to start the server software seperately. At least one of the XAMPP versions (I can not remember which) required that one click on "start XAMPP" and "STOPXAMPP" icons in the XAMPP directory before and after use.

by Genner Cerna -
  I would also go for XAMPP!

by elearning edu -
This is the same xampp you are mentioning.  Installer is the one requires installing fisrt xampp and then installing moodle database and moodle 1.5. 
Since the file size is heavy for download, I have enumerated the steps to create xampp + Moodle 1.5
I have given both versions 1.4.3 (stable) and version 1.5 (dev)  If 1.4.3 is removed brfore zipping xampp the file size will be lesser.
Nagarajan
In reply to elearning edu

by Vincent Short -

Hello

I am to present Moodle to a group of engineering/business schools in a couple of weeks

which is a blank screen blank screen as there is nothing there

and

file:///D:/Xampp/install/install.php

gave me this

i am doing this working on a Windows XPpro pc with Firefox

the flash disk is very nearly full with less than 5mo left

thanks in advance

Attachment install_php.jpg
In reply to Vincent Short

by John Gone -
Hi Vinnie,
Which installer did you use? If you want a fast, hands-off and trouble free installation try this one:

This is the Eloy version from above. It really is idiot-proof, that's why I use it. It works EVERY time and takes only a few minutes.
In reply to John Gone

by Vincent Short -
Hi John

even though i have the flu i should be able to do this !!!

first off i used (because of the xampp)

Moodle for Windows packaged by Floyd Collins and config.php install script by Daryl Hawes Moodle 1.4+ with Xampp

at

http://www.goohio.com/moodle/Moodle1.4+andXampp.exe

and got as far as what you saw in my post

then i used the "moodle in a box" from Revitalise
http://revitalise.ncsa.uiuc.edu/resources/moodleinabox/

and got nowhere (now  i can't even insert screen shots here!)

so hey as you know no need to be more catholic than the pope so lets go for one even i can get to work !

but strange things are happening : Easyphp is running but a right click on the icon and then click on administration i get an Easyphp popup telling that
it can't launch the browser blush

take care
vin
Attachment error_mib.jpg

by r robbie -

What's the differnce between Eloy's and floyd's Moodle for Desk top?

Thanks,

Robbie

In reply to r robbie

Re: Desktop Moodle is a must - very highly recommended

by Timothy Takemoto -
Eloy's uses XAMPP and Floyd provides both I believe.
Eloy is a core moodle developer, I don't think that Floyd is.
People seem to recommend XAMPP for servers and by the technologically knowledgable.
I use Floyd's easyphp for offline, desktop, course content creation and it works well for me.
I hope they are update updated sometime soon.
the image processing library, GD, would be nice.
Is GD in the XAMPP version?
Timothy

by Lael ... -

Hi there - tried using the XAMMP version recommended, having issues with ports... screen shot attached. I am not sure what this means /how to fix it..

any help appreciated! (running xp pro, zonealarm, no servers that i know ofthoughtful..)

Attachment xammpissue.gif
In reply to Lael ...

by Bob Boufford -

Hi,

It's likely ZoneAlarm. Shut it down completely and see if everything starts up. Also, Windows XP Pro SP 2 firewall could also be doing some blocking depending on the security level.

Cheers,

Bob

by A. T. Wyatt -
I will agree that this is a great tool!  I must express my appreciation to the Moodle team and Eloy LaFuente for building a package that I could install myself (poor programmer but great direction follower!)  I was just delighted that I could manage the install and the upgrade without help (only two or three false starts). I am looking forward to developing without all the endless small waits imposed by my variable Internet connection.  Next, I may even try the thumbdrive version!approve