Bulk User Action - Send Message - Missing HTML toolbar

Bulk User Action - Send Message - Missing HTML toolbar

by Sharon R -
Number of replies: 13

I have just started using the BULK USER ACTION to send a message to all TEACHERS. Until now I was creating a Distribution Group in my Outlook email to send out Moodle Info.... but this has become cumbersome with so many new teacher users being constantly added.

So I sent out a message yesterday using the Bulk User Action and it was great. However, the HTML toolbar is missing on my Bulk User Action window and so it was a Plain Text message (yuck). I have HTML showing in all other windows throughout the site, on my Messaging, in my Profile, etc. So, my question is.. where is the setting to turn on the HTML editor for the Bulk User Action? Or IS there a place.

If the only solution is in the programming of the CSS files or PHP files, please tell me exactly which file to edit and what to change. I am a front end admin only and need to get my tech to make changes in the programming, who is new to Moodle. I would LOVE to learn how to do this however, so step by step directions are really appreciated.

Thanks, Sharon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sharon R

Re: Bulk User Action - Send Message - Missing HTML toolbar

by Mauno Korpelainen -

It seems to be a tiny bug - but a one word fix is available...

Check file admin/user/user_message_form.php with some simple text editor like notepad:

line 12 should be

$mform->addElement('htmleditor', 'messagebody', get_string('messagebody'), array('rows'=>15, 'cols'=>60));

instead of current

$mform->addElement('textarea', 'messagebody', get_string('messagebody'), array('rows'=>15, 'cols'=>60));

You should also check your message settings from your user profile:

Click button Messages -> Settings ... Use HTMLeditor and Format: HTMLFormat should be selected.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Sharon R -

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested, changing the text to htmleditor. I have HTML setup in my PRofile as well.

This change didn't give me the desired HTML editor toolbar in the Bulk User Action message box.

Is there any other setting for this?

There is a file right above the one you mentioned that is name user_bulk_message.php.

Is there somewhere in the file I should edit too?

Thanks,

In reply to Sharon R

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Check once more these settings (attached image) - I suppose you see editor (HTMLArea) elsewhere when you edit content...

This one word change in admin/user/user_message_form.php works fine on my test site - maybe your site is using cache and you should refresh browser once.

What text editor did you (or tech people there) use to change word 'textarea' to 'htmleditor' in file admin/user/user_message_form.php ?

Attachment bulk.gif

by Sharon R -

Thanks for the reply.  The screen shot here shows the settings for MY Messages block, and YES, I have both of the settings set to HTML in my Message Block.

But I do not have the same message window or toolbar when I go to BULK USER ACTION to send message. This particular activity does not even pull up MY message block, but is in a different window that is displayed in the Main Moodle Window.

I click on USER ACCOUNTS/Bulk User Actions. I select all the users I want to send a message to from the left list and move it to the right list. Then at the bottom of the screen there is a drop down list... I chose Add/Send Message and the click GO.

It is here that there is no HTML editor.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll check everything to see if that is the cause.

In reply to Sharon R

by Sharon R -

One other note about this problem... I CAN go to Participants, select the participants on the right and THEN go to ADD/Send Message and get the HTML toolbar in that Message window.

However, I need to send a MESSAGE to ALL TEACHERS. So at the top of the Participants window I can filter for Students or Administrators. But there is no teacher option.

Therefore...the ONLY way I know to send a message to teachers is to go the the MAIN ADMIN block for Administrators and Select BULK USER ACTION, Filter for the role of Teacher, Move them to the Right Side of the Screen and THEN ADD/SEND Message. It is here that I have no html toolbar. I did make the change in the admin/user/user_message_form.php. I've copied the file so you can see that I did make the change.... Let me know if I typed something incorrectly.

<?php //$Id: user_message_form.php,v 1.2.2.1 2007/11/13 09:02:12 skodak Exp $

require_once($CFG->libdir.'/formslib.php');

class user_message_form extends moodleform {

function definition() {
        $mform =& $this->_form;
        $mform->addElement('header', 'general', get_string('message', 'message'));

$mform->addElement('htmleditor', 'messagebody', get_string('messagebody'), array('rows'=>15, 'cols'=>60));
        $mform->addRule('messagebody', '', 'required', null, 'client');
        $mform->setHelpButton('messagebody', array('writing', 'reading', 'questions', 'richtext'), false, 'editorhelpbutton');
        $mform->addElement('format', 'format', get_string('format'));

$this->add_action_buttons();
    }
}
?>

In reply to Sharon R

by Mauno Korpelainen -
It looks correct but just in case that your text editor has added some whitespaces to the end of this file here attached my file...you can use mouse right click and save to compare the files.
In reply to Sharon R

by Mauno Korpelainen -
You could create a teacher demo course where all teachers are participants. From participants list you can then select role and users for bulk messages and my site renders editor here fine. See attached image.

Attachment test1.gif

by Mauno Korpelainen -
And yes - I did try first the main administration screen and that's where that file should have influence to render editor for bulk user action messages. When I click Bulk user actions and select Show advanced - Select course role to teacher - Add filter - Select the teachers - Add to selection - With selected users... Add/send message - Go... I do get editor after that change to file user_message_form.php

But I suppose creating Teacher course is a better option because that way also teachers can send bulk user message with editor to each other or you can use normal forums inside that course. If teacher course is closed from students students don't even see it but teachers can use it as any normal course.

On front page only administrator has a "normal role" and usually there are no site wide teachers + the user interface in course participants list is simpler than site administration menu bulk user action message option.
Attachment test3.gif

by Sharon R -

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I copied your file to my desktop and then replaced MY file with your file. I still have the same issue of no toolbar..... sad

I am admin of a whole school system, so I have a WAN engineer who actually has access to the installation files with all my users. So I installed my own version of Moodle on my laptop to test everything, change themes, etc.. and then I send him files to replace on the main server. I have version 1.9.5 on my laptop and the school system I am admin to has version 1.9.2. (My WAN En.  tried to upgrade, but everything shut down on us so he had to revert back for now).

I am working with this personal version on my laptop, replacing the file like you said, changing my profile, etc. But no look on my own Moodle.

So..I am going to send your file to my WAN En. and ask him to replace it on the main Moodle server and see if that fixes the problem there, because ultimately that is where it needs to be fixed.

As for the TEACHER course, that would be great except idea EXCEPT when I go to Assign Roles in the Course, the list has 1680 users and I'm not sure which ones are teachers. There is no filter there to sort out the teachers from the non-editing teachers or students. Any ideas? I can't search by email domain because some of the teachers are students in other teacher's course (staff development for example).

AND I thought I could go to Participants from the Main page and filter for the Teacher role there, but the only choices for Current Role are All Site Users(student) and Administrators. Why isn't TEACHER listed here??... That would solve my problem too.

So... I'm still looking for answers. Thanks for the ideas.

In reply to Sharon R

by Mauno Korpelainen -
No teachers in list? mixed

I tested a couple of sites on different environments and my main page Administration > Users > Accounts > Bulk user actions shows (after pressing Show advanced) some other roles too.

I really don't know what to say - maybe your site has some custom role settings...
Attachment teacher.gif

by Sharon R -

I'm sorry.. I wasn't clear on that.  I do have teacher role in the Admin/Users list.

I was refering to the PEOPLE block on the Main Moodle Page. I wanted to click on my Participants link and then select Current Role - teachers. It is THERE that teachers are not a choice. But I asked the question of WHY in the Moodle forum and was told that it was because there are no teachers as SYSTEM role, so they won't be in that Participants List.

I can only select Current Role, Teachers, from within a course.

Thanks,

In reply to Sharon R

by Sharon R -

My tech was able to apply the change you suggested to our 1.9.2 Moodle and this DID fix the issue. It didn't work on My Moodle on my Windows laptop, but it DID work on the Linux server where all of our users are located. So thanks!