Just curious is there's a way to enroll a bunch of students (hundreds) into a course.
I would love advise on two fronts here:
1) Let us assume that all of the students have already been added to the school's database and have taken courses in the past.
2) Is there an easy way to get them into the course from a csv file? I have imported and added them manually, but know there's a better way.
Please be very clear with instructions as I am somewhat new to the administrative role.
- gives every course a code
- AND generates a timetable for students based on that class-code
- AND you let the moodle course shortname echo that code (!) ...
I do bulk enrollments quite often. If you have administrative rights to your site, this is quite easy to do, but you have to be very careful or you will end up resetting everyones passwords. You will need to carefully look through the bulk upload section and do some experimenting to make sure you have your settings correctly. You will need an electronic list of the students that contains their username, first and last name etc. See the helpfile connected to the bulk upload to all that is required. You can even enroll them straight into their groups with in the course.
Also, once your feet are wet, test a couple of csv's with 2 or 3 incomplete records (missing course short name, missing email, etc) to see how/if the upload chokes.
We upload between 300 and 800 students per term with not very many problems.
You can also get into fancier territory by, for example, setting forum auto-subscribe to off or adding custom profile fields (we used "ID Number" as our unique identifier).
But small steps first!