Courses and course formats

Picture of Girish Mulchandani
Scorm Format

Hi Moodlers,

I have a lots of pdf content and i i want to convert into SCORM format. is there any open source tool to convert pdf into scorm format.

I have seen scorm converter listed in moodle forum. I like Thesis but its too coastly.

If you have alternate solution, please suggest.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: Scorm Format
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
there are a list of SCORM tools here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Tools_for_creating_SCORM_content

but.... converting pdf files into SCORM seems very strange. SCORM objects traditionally provide some form of user interaction that reports a grade back to Moodle. a static PDF file won't do this!

is there a particular reason you want to convert them into SCORM objects?

Picture of Girish Mulchandani

Thanks Dan for reply,

As all my content is in pdf, but i dont know that "converting pdf files into SCORM" is strange.

Actually our pdf content files are too large, so if student wants to refer one point than they have to download entire file, that's why i want to convert pdf to scorm.

If i have to convert pdf into other formats then there is no issue for me.
Can you suggest me how do i publish these pdf files of over 60+ Gb to scorm

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
I've seen a lot of Objects that don't actually do any file conversion - they just place a document inside a SCORM wrapper, and the wrapper just redirects to the file. - which is pretty pointless! smile

I'd suggest you would want something that would generate html files based on the structure of your pdfs - allowing you to jump to different parts of the documentation. Hopefully the structure of the doc (contents/headers etc) are set up in a way that would allow a clean conversion!

there's a free one here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html
but it might not accept files that large, and may just return a single html page - what you want is a tool that reads the contents/headers and creates a group of html pages that represent the content.

you could then take that group of html files and turn that into a SCORM object, but you could just upload the group of files into your moodle site, and use the "link to a file or website" option to select the main file created by the process.

someone else here might have an idea on a product that might do this for you!

good luck!

Picture of Tom Worthington

I have found the Moodle Book Module very useful for packaging course content. It creates "books" as a set of chapters, which can have sub-chapters. Each chapter and sub-chapter is a web page, which can be created using the built in Moodle editor, or imported.

The Moodle books display well on screen and print well (chapter by chapter, or the whole book). Moodle has an option for exporting a book as an IMS Content Package, which is similar to SCORM.

This may not help you with converting the PDF content. But once you have individual documents converted, it might be a useful way to maintain it.

For my Green ICT course, I converted about 100 pages of material manually. Where the content was already in some sort of word processing format, I saved it as HTML and ran it through the HTML TIDY converter. I then manually edited the result. This was then provided as a Moodle Book and an IMS Package.

For PDF, the conversion process produced HTML so poorly formatted it was easier to start with clean unformatted text and add back all the formatting manually. That is a very laborious process, but produces a very well formatted result, with tiny files (about one tenth to one hundredth the size of PDF).

The Moodle Book produced such a good result that I exported it back to PDF and produced a real book from it and sell printed copies, as well as electronic ones.

ps: If you really want to leave the content in PDF format, then you might be better off providing a short index to it using web, IMS or SCORM and saving the PDF in external separate files. Keep in mind that you can link to a particular page in a PDF document from a web page.

pps: I don't think PDF is a good format for education, but sometimes it is all you have.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)