Tips/help on setting up question contexts within Moodle

Tips/help on setting up question contexts within Moodle

by Joy Gilpin -
Number of replies: 4

Greetings Moodlers,

We are looking to reorganize our assessment questions and have been exploring the idea of contexts but the documentation is limited and I have concerns.  Has anyone had any experience restructuring their quiz questions into contexts/categories?  We are hoping to build a structure that allows us to pull questions from different courses to create topic driven assessments. 

In addition we're hoping that this will make updating questions more efficient, meaning if a question is shared in more than one course space but is contained within the larger category or context and it is updated the changes will role through and update the question in each location.  I would appreciate any guidance you can offer.

An example might be a pool of questions in a self-study course might also be relevant to a topic specific assessment so we might want that pool of questions to roll up under a larger topic.  We're toying with the idea of creating system contexts but are concerned that once we start moving data around it could impact the behavior of the existing content.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Joy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joy Gilpin

Re: Tips/help on setting up question contexts within Moodle

by Andy Webb -

I've been analyzing this same situation today.  It seems like contexts flow down, but unfortunately they don't roll up.  I, for instance, would like to have different activities within a course, each with their own questions, and then create a final exam that pulls a set number of random questions from each activity. 

Unfortunately, the way it is designed, at the course level I can't see the individual activity questions, just the questions that have been moved to the course.

Of course, all the questions can be moved to the course level, but then I can't use the random quesiton feature at the activity level because I will be drawing from all the activity questions, not just that activity. 

Maybe I am missing something and I would appreciate any other comments on how this might be accomplished.

In reply to Andy Webb

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, question categories can be nested, so if you want to share questions at the course level, but still keep the questions for each quiz separate, you can have a structure something like
  • Questions for coures CF101
    • Questions for Quiz 1
      • Quiz 1 topic 1
      • Quiz 1 topic 2
    • Questions for Quiz 2
      • etc.
And you can add questions from any of those categories (optionally from a category and all subcategories, or just from one category but not its children).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joy Gilpin

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moving questions to another context should be safe. The only issue is when the question uses images. In that case the image needs to be copied to site files, but that is taken care of automatically.
In reply to Joy Gilpin

by hipolito nunez -
I completely understand what you are trying to do. That is exactly what I would like to do. Simply evaluate the student on a subject and identify his weaknesses on any particular area of that subject.

If Moodle was able to do so, Moodle would be at another level.