Quiz

Picture of K P
Adding a bonus question to a quiz

I have searched on a method to do this and on other sites have seen where it is not possible.  I just wanted to make sure those posts were not for an older version and it is now possible, or if someone has found a way to fool Moodle.  Basically I want to add a question that will not count against them if they get it wrong, but add points if they get it right.  I know how to add extra credit to a question, but that is after the fact.  I want Moodle to grade it like the others.  I also know how to add extra credit to the gradebook, but I don't use the gradebook because my school system using a particular software package, so I only transfer the grades out of Moodle into my required gradebook.  I would think that this rather common practice of bonus questions on a test, etc would not have been overlooked, but I wanted to find out.  I thought maybe there is a way to fool Moodle into not taking away the points, but only add them????

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Susan Hussein
Re: Adding a bonus question to a quiz

Try this and see if it works for you:

Set up a quiz with eleven questions, each worth 10 points - or make the EC question worth 5 points or whatever. Any student who does that question will have it added to the score. Students who don't do it can get 100 points by doing all the rest.

If you don't want scores to go over 100%, in the Moodle gradebook (Edit categories and items) set up an additional column with the following calculation, and use that result in your outside gradebook:

=(MIN(100,quiz score))

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of K P

I have tried that but it doesnt work.  When you set each question value, you still have to tell Moodle how many points total the whole thing is worth.  If I try do what you suggest, it only rescales all the individual question scores and overrides the values that I set for each question. 

Picture of Susan Hussein

I'm not sure we are on the same page. Perhaps I misunderstand your idea of EC. I see it as something that is added to the score without requiring that all students try that item in order to get a perfect score.

Don't worry about the original total for the quiz because you will not use that total or let the outside gradebook see it. Set that to be the maximum number of points a student could get with a perfect score plus the EC. Make a new column to hold the "actual" grades where some students benefit from EC but no one has more than a certain score.

I tried it out in an old empty course. I uploaded grades for a quiz worth 5 points. I made no changes to the original quiz, but in my mind I decided one question was EC. So anyone who had 4 points was home free.

Steps to get Moodle to present the result:
Gradebook --> Edit categories and items --> Add new grade item. I tried it two ways, creating two experimental columns.

Method One: As you create the new grade item (on the gradebook category and items screen), make the maximum the grade as it would be without the EC - in this case 4 points. After the column is created, click on the calculator to enter the formula =Your.quiz.ID That is probably not as good, because you can change the formula later but not that maximum.

Method Two. Leave the possible maximum at the default (100). Then enter the formula as =min(4,Your.quiz.ID)

The results will be (and were for me) exactly the same. Of course if you want a percentage, you will add a division by 4 to either formula.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of K P

Sorry, just got around to working with the gradebook. We don't use it because we use a county mandated one, so we just pull grades straight from the quiz/lesson/etc results page.

In order for these two methods to work, you need 1.9.5+ and under Administration-->Grades--General Settings--Unlimited Grading (very last option) needs to be enabled.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
The quiz does not support this.

It would take significant work to add this (extra space in the DB to store which questions are extra credit. Extra space in the UI to input it. Change grading calculations) so I don't see this being implemented any time soon.

Picture of Daryle Niedermayer

Using Moodle 2.0.x you can do the following:

Given an exam which should be graded out of 50 marks but you want to include 10 bonus marks such that:

1. If a student gets more than 50 marks, they will earn 100% on the quiz;
  2. If a student gets less than 50 marks, whatever mark they do get will be out of 50.

Write an exam containing 60 marks. Make this the "maximum grade" value for the quiz. Then set the "Multiplicator" value for this test to 1.2 (60 possible marks/50 marks).

Students will then have their actual grade (out of 60) multiplied by 1.2 to a maximum of 60/60.

For example: a student gets 53/60. 53*1.2=63.60 which will max out to 60/60 or 100%.

A student gets 30/60. According to the formula, this student should receive a 60% and not a 50% since the grade should be 30/50. Multiplying 30*1.2 = 36 and 36/60 is indeed 60%.

A student gets 45/60 which appears like a 75% without the multiplicator but should be 90% (45/50). By multiplying 45*1.2, the student will now get 54/60 which is 90%.

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of Hartmut Scherer
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Daryle,

Thank you for sharing a great idea. I tried it out in a test course. The user report displays the correct score, but the multiplicator does not affect the quiz report, which may be a bit confusing for some students as they will see two different results for the same quiz. How did you handle this with your students or users?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of PC Nguyen

The multiplier affect the percentage calculation. If you go to the setting of the gradebook and set the overall theme to be percentage instead of real, then the student will only see the correct result.

Hope this helps