Problems with cvs

Problems with cvs

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Has anybody noticed any problems with commiting moodle files to the CVS repositry?

Since Friday I have been getting nothing but timeouts.

Cheers....
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Problems with cvs

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, it's been pretty good for me. Though you're the second person to mention some problems recently, and I've noticed their web site has been up and down a bit.

I'm packaging up 1.0.9 on Thursday, so if your changes are any fixes that should be in there you can try emailing your latest versions to me before then.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Mmm …

all I can get (and I've been trying a LOT) is..

cvs.sourceforge.net: Connection timed out

cvs [commit aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Oh well …

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you tried cvs.moodle.sourceforge.net ?

by Howard Miller -

Yes, I booked it out in the first place using exactly the syntax described in your documentation and the CVS/Root file contains cvs.moodle.sourceforge.net.

All looks ok, at a bit of a loss!

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suppose that all the answers are yes, but...

Are you accessing as a sourceforge registered user ?
Have you uploaded your public key to sourceforge ?
Have you changed your client cvs software recently ?
Have you set the CVS_RSH variable ?

In two months (aprox) I've been in problems with sourceforge in two or three transactions, but, 10 seconds after, it worked fine again.

Ciao.
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Howard Miller -
Ahhhh.......

A double check shows that CVS_RSH wasn't set for some reason - investigating!. I don't have an opportunity to try this again just now, but that probably wouldn't help smile

Thanks!

by John Gone -
Same thing here Howard, although in my case this is likely due to a setup error. I've seen this
cvs [commit aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
so many times in the past two weeks...
Oh well

Haven't been here for a while, the new subscription option message, displayed when posting, is great ain't it?
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
This is what I get when doing a moodle cvs checkout:

Error, CVS operation failed
Tortoise Tip: One or more of your files has a conflict. This means that someone else has altered the same part of a file as you. Look above for the files marked "C" and manually edit them to resolve the conflict.
This is the file mentioned: C:moodle/lang/cz/docs/readme.txt
checkout pauses briefly while displaying this message: move away: it is in the way

On commit I get the following message:
Access denied: Insufficient Karma (myusername) moodle/lang/en/docs cvs server: Pre-commit check failed cvs [server aborted]: correct above answers first!

First of all, I think I have sufficient Karma! That's just rude! Joking aside I would really like to sort this out. Anybody know what's going on here? Anyone else having problems with cvs lately? TIA johncaptain
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
Conflicts happen when CVS can't resolve the differences between your current files and the new incoming files.

Since the file in conflict isn't one you've edited (I assume), just remove the local copy and then continue with the update to replace it with a fresh copy.

If the file in question is one you've edited, then you need to review the file to merge the changes. For example, say you and I both edited a FAQ in lang/en/docs/faq.html, and I checked it in first, then you might get a conflict when checking yours in, so you might have to resolve it by not checking in your changes, or by getting my version and then redoing your changes on that latest file.

by John Gone -
Thanks Martin for trying to clear this up however I'm unable to commit changes without receiving the same error message mentioned above.
I've started from scratch, several times, and don't know what the problem is. Is it possible that I don't have sufficient permission to make changes to, for example, the glossary.html file?
Thanks for any advice received on this one.
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
You should have access to /lang/en/docs ... can you try again? I just changed something that shouldn't matter but might have.

Also the Czech error is fixed.

by John Gone -
Thanks Martin,
Whatever it was that you changed made all the difference. I thought I was losing my marbles...
john
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
Sorry, man, there was a slash on the end that shouldn't have been there. ie moodle/lang/en/docs/ instead of moodle/lang/en/docs.

My fault - sorry about the lost hair! blush

by John Gone -
It was a great character building experience, really. I appreciate your seemingly endless patience through this entire cvs learning experience Martin.
Thanks again, John