Moodle Advocacy

Re: Moodle Advocacy

by Matt (M) -
Number of replies: 0
My $.02:

When I tackle the question of "how do I sell to a market" (which seems to be the essential question we are asking here...if I understand things correctly?), I find it strategically useful to definition my goals and market targets. (Alas, after making some stabs at definitions, after investigating the markets somehow--test selling included--one usually comes back to adjust their goals/targets. wink) Of course, I may be preaching to the choir here...so forgive me if I seem rather redundant or presumptive.

I would be very interested in something like a Moodle charter/mission statement. Maybe this already exists?

This would help me figure out where Moodle wants to go. From there, I might have a lot more concrete and actionable thoughts on what to do to get there.

Without a charter statement, though, I could take educated guesses on some of this stuff based upon what I've seen with the software and in my conversations with Martin et al.

Some *extremely brief and speculative* thoughts (I'm new to this whole world, and I'm sure others will have a more-experienced perspective):

The sweet spot for Moodle right now seems to be larger-scale academic course administrators (teachers, TAs, etc) and drifting into the smaller-scale academic areas. There do seem to be some business market uses, but they seem (from what I can tell) to be in the smaller/fringe business area.

I don't see Moodle with a lot of mind share of the "bigger" decision makers, like University Deans/Vice Presidents. I also do not see big Moodle footholds into the bigger Corporate world (which is where I'm trying to apply it), either at the low/mid level (where I'm at) or the "high" level (CEOs, Vice presidents, CIOs, etc).

Moodle seems to serve itself well at these "low/mid" levels.

Tacking the "high" level decision-making market/mindshare might be pretty tough. I think it would take some time and investment and strategic definition.

I think I can comfortably say that there is a large opportunity in the bigger corporate space, because comparable learning-management systems seem quite expensive ($1k, $10k, $25k are prices that have been thrown at me; usually the renting option seems more attractive).

I guess my summary answer to the initial question is another question: what are our goals and whom are we trying to target...now and in the future?

-Matt