What is the Chat duration and how can I change it?

What is the Chat duration and how can I change it?

by Rob Byrd -
Number of replies: 2
I see a start time for the next chat to begin but there is no place to see what the duration is. (Using Moodle 1.9.5) What is the default chat session duration and how can I change it.

I would like to simply have a permanent chat capability so that at any time a student could email their group and say, "let's meet in the chat room at 9:00"

Is that possible? If not how can I at least change the chat duration?

On one chat activity it did stay open , but on another it kept kicking people out. One chat activity actually disappeared from the course (like, hidden--even from the teacher--gone.)

Thank you,
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Byrd

Re: What is the Chat duration and how can I change it?

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Rob

A Moodle Chat activity (room) is 'always available'.
The times are published, so they appear in the Calendar - but the room in fact is always available smile

Kicking people out sounds more like a server error - timeout or connection problems.
You can try different settings in the admin area (search through this Forum for previous discussion on time outs).

If a Chat activity has actually disappeared, then it has been deleted by a teacher (possibly accidentally?)

Stu
In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: What is the Chat duration and how can I change it?

by Rob Byrd -
Thank you. I will look in the admin areas and check some server session settings (php and apache configs)