Collapsed Weeks Format for Moodle 1.9

Collapsed Weeks Format for Moodle 1.9

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear all,

I have been experimenting with my Collapsed Topics format and created a hybrid based upon the weeks format.

It operates in exactly the same way as the topics version but always has the current week open when opening / refreshing the page.

If you want to try it, please install the attached by unzipping and moving the folder 'weekcoll' to your 'course/format' folder, then you will find a format called 'Collapsed Weeks' in your course settings.

Please note that this is the Moodle 1.9 version and is 'experimental'.

Comments appreciated big grin.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Collapsed Weeks Format for Moodle 1.9

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Gareth - Thanks for your continued work at improving the collapsed weeks course format. If you want to work with an experimental version and maintain a stable 1.9 version we could easily have you use HEAD for the experimental/development version and a 19STABLE branch. If you need a new branch, just create a tracker issue requesting one and I will be happy to provide. Using branches in CVS may help avoid having multiple versions of zip files here in the forums and questions/confusion about which is the latest, etc. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Anthony,

Thanks. I already have a HEAD version of Collapsed Topics (that you created for me wink) for Moodle 2.0 and 19STABLE for 1.9 and 18STABLE for 1.8, but this is a variation on Collapsed Topics and therefore would be a new Format, unless... there is a way to have two similar formats contained within the same folder structure and yet have them appear as different formats in the course settings? Or! another way would be a course setting that is stored in the database that states what form the collapsed concept applies to - Topics or Weeks.

If they need to be separate, I would appreciate creating a new contrib course format for it in CVS. Is there anyway that two contrib projects can rely on a library contrib project? So that I could refactor the code so that project specific bits are in one place and they include a generic set of code? And if so, would the automatic rebuild mechanism pull in the libraries as a dependancy?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Anthony Borrow -
Gareth - So for taking so long to get back to you. Let's go ahead and treat it as a separate format. Even though similar, it is different so let's keep it independent of the other. If you end up creating others based on the same model (or even just with these two) we could package the various course formats together into a single package if you wish but for now it seems best to keep them separate. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Anthony,

No worries. I'll work on getting the first complete baselineable version ready and eMail you when its there if that is ok?

In the long term I can envisage a situation where there is some setting on the course settings to determine in what way the collapsed functionality is applied 'weeks' or 'topics'.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Anthony Borrow -
Gareth - If you could, just go ahead and create an issue in the tracker like you did last time as I try to follow a routine with CONTRIB code (for my own sanity). Personally, I like the simplicity of keeping them as separate course formats as that is what they are. At some point, if folks like them we could pursue what it would look like to have a collapsable option for the standard course formats but for now I think you are handling things well. Peace - Anthony