Role to Login As

Role to Login As

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 5
I have looked at the Moodle documentation for managing Roles and have not been able to suss this one out:

I have a 'Librarian Moodle Support' role for which I would like to add the ability to 'Login As' any user (particularly teachers). To do this I think that the user needs access to the Site Administration block and then the ability to go to Users : Accounts : Browse list of users. The complication is that our site is set to Force users to use MyMoodle so that they never see the Front page. How can I allow the Librarian Moodle Support role to see the Front page and thereby gain access to the Site Administration block and Browse list of users?

Cheers

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Role to Login As

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can ""log in as" from the people (participants) block in a course so the librarian support should be able to do it from the courses they are enrolled in - but again, that depends on how you have set up the librarian support role in your moodle and which courses they are enrolled in to access from mymoodle.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Pearson -
Thanks Mary, but this misses the point somewhat. My colleagues need to be able to find a teacher and then login as that teacher.
The problem is that teaching faculty will send a 'help email' to my Librarian colleagues with a vague reference to a course. So, they will complain that "resources don't load in my IP course" for example. As Administrator I can find the user (with Users : Accounts : Browse) and Login as that user to easily discover the course they are referring to. Then I can open the course and try to sort the problem out. So I'd like the Librarians to be able to do the same thing without becoming de facto administrators.
Cheers
Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by Ger Tielemans -
I recognize your problem and we solved this by introducing the RED NUMBERS, the unique course-id of each course, so they say now: "I have a problem in course 4321, section 6.."

• in the header of our theme we echo the course-id as a red number (A)
  • in the header of the theme we add the very handy "red-number-jump-box" (B)
    during the phone-call we enter the number and fly to the problem-spot
  • in the course list and the personal profile page we added also course-id as red numbers. (C)
  • now also on the modified my page (D)
Attachment dok.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mark Pearson -
Ger,

Thank you very much for demonstrating this approach. It looks like you have given this issue a lot of thought. If we were to attempt to implement a similar approach where would we go to to find the patches necessary?

Cheers
Mark
In reply to Mark Pearson

by David Sturrock -
Hi Mark

We had a similar requirement for category managers. Add the site administration block to the myMoodle page as a sticky block. It will only be available to users who have an administration capability set at site level and only show the links related to that capability (such as browse users).

Cheers
David