PaintWeb demo in Moodle 2 is available

PaintWeb demo in Moodle 2 is available

by Mihai Sucan -
Number of replies: 7
Hello everyone!

Thanks to Anthony Borrow and Jordan Tomkinson, today a Moodle 2.0 test site has been published with PaintWeb integrated. So, now you can try PaintWeb directly in Moodle:

http://test.moodle.org/paintweb/

Login with the teacher user: user. Password is: demo.

To try the paint tool, I have created a test course, and I added a glossary activity. Inside the glossary activity there's a concept I added. Go ahead and play with the glossary: add, edit or delete concepts.

It should be noted that Moodle 2.0 and the paint tool integration are both under development. This means that Moodle devs have not yet completed upgrading all the code which deals with the HTML editors - so, other pages where TinyMCE is used might not have PaintWeb enabled because the configuration is still in "legacy mode" (no file attachments are allowed).

Please provide me with feedback on the user experience, and any other thoughts you might have. Thanks!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mihai Sucan

Re: PaintWeb demo in Moodle 2 is available

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mihai, many thanks for developing a paint tool for Moodle. goedkeurend

Everyone, if you'd like Paintweb included in Moodle 2.0 please vote for MDL-20124. (You'll need a Moodle Tracker account in order to vote.)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mihai Sucan -
Thank you very much Helen! smile

You're all welcome and I sure hope you'll enjoy the paint tool.
In reply to Mihai Sucan

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Mihai, thank you for your contribution smile
I've just been to the testing site. The funny thing was that when I created a new post, there was no editor at all (just a blank textbox). However, when I'd saved the post and came back to edit, the editor was there. I've seen some other people noticed that, too.
Przemek

PS. using firefox on vista
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Mihai Sucan -
Hehe, I haven't noticed that, but it might certainly be a bug in Moodle 2 itself - remember, it's under heavy development.

The TinyMCE 3 version they use and PaintWeb are now quite stable in general.

Thanks for testing! Any further feedback? How's usage for you?
In reply to Mihai Sucan

by Clarence Prudhoe -
Hi,

I just tried to open the PaintWeb demo site and when I login with user, demo, I get

"Your session has timed out. Please login again".

This looks like a very useful addition to the HTML editor.

Thanks.
Clarence
In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Mihai Sucan -
Hello!

I also get the same error. I suggest pinging Helen Foster on this matter. She should be able to help with getting the PaintWeb demo site working again.

Please note that the demo site *may* have been disabled on purpose ... given it's pretty old already.

There are plans for getting PaintWeb pushed into Moodle 2.1. While I did integrate the paint tool into the 2.0 codebase, there is still some additional work required for a better integration of TinyMCE plugins - not just the paint tool. Therefore, it was agreed that for the 2.1 release the required API will be prepared and together with that, the paint tool will also be integrated. As I understand, there will be support for other types of plugins and a generally better HTML editor API.

Thanks for your interest into the paint tool.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Mihai