Moodle is a very good Classroom-Assistant for traditional classes also

Moodle is a very good Classroom-Assistant for traditional classes also

by Bob Lee -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, folks

Moodle is a very good classroom-assistant (web-enchancement) for traditional classes, too.  I have 5 traditional classes using Moodle for web-enhanced activities, watching online videos, filing reports about the videos, and general discussions.  Students are rating each others' reports about the movies they've watched online.

Classes had a 1st major test.  I have the Moodle-classroom-assistant scores.  So, I did a correlation of 1st test scores to classroom-assistant scores.  In 3 sections, some 80 people or so, the correlation coefficient was .29 (p < .06).  While just missing statistical signficance by a hair, the data show a positive correlation coefficient meaning that as classroom assistant grades increase, test grades increase.  This is hard data indicating that Moodle is doing the job well as the web-enhanced "classroom assistant" in helping students to learn the material.

Just thought you would like to know there's hard data supporting the use of Moodle in a web-enhanced traditional classroom.  Certainly the content has bearing on this correlation but, without Moodle, there would be no content to engage students in further learning.

It would be an interesting PhD dissertation to see 5 different platforms employed as classroom assistants, each with the same content, correlated to grades on reliable alternate tests or even same tests to discern the power of the platform to improve scores.  I would hazard to guess that Moodle, being so engaging and fun as compared to the clunky proprietary non-pedagogical platforms, would show itself to be statistically significantly better in improving students' grades.

Somebody go do that dissertation, please. smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Lee

Re: Moodle is a very good Classroom-Assistant for traditional classes also

by Amy Groshek -
Bob,
I'd be interested to know what videos you used, and how big they were. Did you link to them elsewhere, or were they housed in your server? I've got several instructors who want to show videos, but often they are in old-fashioned "video" form, not digital. I could convert them somehow, I suppose, but wouldn't they make huge files?

Question number 2, what are your personal parameters for fair use? And do you restrict access to your course to make sure that no one else can watch the video?

Amy
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Bob Lee -

Hi, Amy

Depending on content interests, there are many difference online streaming resources for educational materials, e.g., Frontline, PBS, WGBH-Boston, and other public television broadcasting organizations.  There are also several various foundations that house and support online video presentation materials, e.g., Annenberg Foundation, I believe.  The school where I am located has a streaming video media server going and they're figuring out how to use it and what media in what format to put on it.  But, if you have no streaming media server, there's plenty of it out on the web; I've used Google, of course, to track these down or also Alltheweb.com and used their video-search function there.

In reply to Bob Lee

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, Bob. Several of our students (who are themselves working K-12 teachers) have made the leap from taking our distance ed courses using Moodle to using Moodle in conjunction with their classes (I've set up a separate Moodle server for their use).

They're very pleased with how well Moodle works in conjunction with a "live" class.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Bob Lee -

Hi, Tony

Thanks for the note.  Yes, Moodle works wonderfully well to assist a teacher in, for example, the following:

1) making assignments and maintaining deadlines

2) having students react to specific web-assigned activities including, for example, reading, listening to music, watching some video media, or other activity.  Then to file a reaction/discussion about it online that other students see/rate.

3) Social constructivist pedagogy of students rating other students...  that is a big plus.  Students are very critical of other students' work, by an large.

4) Being able to give feedback to students; keep grades of assignment activities, etc.

It is a GREAT system and empowers students while they learn.