General plugins

Project module add-on: I want to post Excel file that students can "write" to

Jeremiah Gardner
Project module add-on: I want to post Excel file that students can "write" to

I don't know if this is the proper forum, but I'll take a shot. In a class I'm involved with, we have a sales project. Students are expected to get and accumulate results over a six-week timeframe. I would like to post an Excel tracking sheet that students can individually update and save with their latest results. However, when posting files, it seems there is no way to avoid it being "read-only." Anyone have a solution they would be willing to share?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Project module add-on: I want to post Excel file that students can "write" to
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Well - several issues here: is this the same Excel spreadsheet you want a whole class to update together? In which case, if you are talking collaborative editing of a spreadsheet you might be best off using something like google docs/spreadsheets within Moodle . Alternatively if you want them all to have a copy of your spreadsheet and then to update and save their own version individually, then I suggest you look at the Advanced Uploading of Files assignment. This gives you the chance to send a file, such as a spreadsheet out to your students and they as individuals can edit it and send it back to you several times. They will of course have to download, save and then reupload however.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Colleen McGuire
Re: Project module add-on: I want to post Excel file that students can "write" to

I would highly recommend google docs for this. You can create a great online form which will send input directly from the form submission to the google spreadsheet. This spreadsheet can then be shared with all involved students. I have done this with my students this year by posting a link to the form on Moodle and having them input data from there. Worked great!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Bonnie Mioduchoski

Hi Mary and all, great tips on google docs. I see that once you publish it as a web page that it's not private even if you list it as private. We don't want people to see this. Is there any other way to work around this issue? We're trying to use a Moodle course to manage development of our student Moodle courses - cheaper than Basecamp!

Maybe the checklist activity could do this? We're looking for a way to track deadlines and define who owns the task. Love any tips! Best, Bonnie

Picture of Deb Streacker

Why not try using a Google Docs spreadsheet? It has a "Share" feature that allows people to view and edit. I just used it this week with some of my students and it worked out famously! Good luck - docs.google.com - great for collaborative efforts.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Jeremiah Gardner

Thank you. Several folks suggested google docs, and I was pretty excited. Seemed like an easy solution. However, my company blocks access to google docs. So, I cannot distribute a google docs link to our corporate students. It did make me think of something similar we have available internally - Sharepoint - which I think is going to work in much the same way. So, many thanks for getting me headed down the right road!