Huh??! Book is viewable by guests but not registered users?

Huh??! Book is viewable by guests but not registered users?

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 5
Right at the top of our moodle site homepage (www.cotronline.ca) we have a couple of books with general info about the site, online learning etc. Casual visitors to the site can view the books just fine. So can administrators. But it seems that once our registered users (those with teacher permissions as well as students) log in, they can't read the books! I'm not kidding: they click on the book & are given an error message informing them that they do not have permissions to read a book. Of course they can read the books within their courses but not on the homepage.

Is this a book bug?

Oh -- we're using ver. 1.9
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Huh??! Book is viewable by guests but not registered users?

by Laura Scroggins -
Gina - I am having a similar problem with SITE NEWS. Site news is viewable until the user logs in. I bet our problems are related to our configurations and will offer my solution if I find one and please if you find a solution, please post here. smile
In reply to Laura Scroggins

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there both. I think these are two separate issues possibly:
Laura: if you want logged in users to see site news then set your front page role to student. There are other ways to do this too, if you do a search in the docs, as it is a common issue which will be fixed soon smile
Gina - I had exactly the same problem as you this time last year - an dI just can't for the life of me remember it or find my original post sad I'll keep looking and get back to you unless someone else who remembers gets back to you sooner - but I think it's to do with this: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roles_FAQ#How_do_I_enable_logged-in_users_to_participate_in_front_page_activities.3F
However, that says for versions prior to 1.9.4 (which I was at the time) What precise version of Moodle are you running?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Laura Scroggins -
Mary - I found one of your earlier posts which solved this for me.

Who are you are why are you so helpful .... THANK YOU!!
In reply to Laura Scroggins

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Glad it worked - and thanks for the compliment. smile Who am I? A tortured soul constantly asking herself that question! Alternatively -you could look at my profile!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gina Bennett -
Mary, you get 100% for your analysis! That link did indeed provide the answer. Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!

We are running 1.9.4 but it worked anyway.

Gina