Extra Credit

Extra Credit

by Steven Geggie -
Number of replies: 6

How can we implement "extra-credit"?

In reply to Steven Geggie

Re: Extra Credit

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Will offline assignment do the job for you?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Steven Geggie -
How do we NOT penalize students if they choose not to do the extra credit?  (Extra-credit should not add to the total poinst possible for the course....and will add to the student's point total).

by Michael Penney -
Hi Steven, see our demo of a new gradebook here:
http://learn.humboldt.edu/mod/book/view.php?id=1077

In our system, extra credit can be added either by bonus points or by curving a catagory, eg you can have a catagory with 105 possible points but curve it to 100.

You can also set the number value of your letter grade, so that A range can be set however you want (for instance 90-105).

This should be ready for beta testing by the end of next week. It doesn't affect your actual grades, so it can be tested and replaced with the standard or you can run it from a different filename (eg grades_new.php) while testing it.

by T Snake -
I've just wondered similarly too... how about an arbitrary/unregulated point system?
The 0-100 grading doesn't cover my needs. I need to be able to assign whatever point score I would like on submissions or assignments, whatever.

Is there a way to do that? It seems like it's a grade scale system, but I don't see a way to allow entering a grade as such.

It won't be a way to score. I'm not interested in how many points out of nnnn, just the accumulative score from assignment to assignment.

Chris
In reply to T Snake

by Michael Penney -
You and a few of our Profs toosmile

So we're just finishing up adding a custom score box to assignment, so you can type in whatever (numerical) value you like for any individual assignment. We're running this through testing now, and we'll let you know when its ready.

On the gradebook, the final score is 100%, but that can be converted to A-F scale or Pass/Fail, Credit/NC, just by typing the appt. % range and the letter. Eg you could set 1-70.99 to NC and 71.00-100 (or 100smile to Cr.

In reply to Michael Penney

by T Snake -
hm.. I think it sounds good. Well, I know it sounds good.. I don't know if it's precicely what I'm looking for... when is anything that way though smile

Does this new custom system allow for non graded accumulation of points?
If I want to score something 1390 points out of no particular maximum, and the same for another and another... and the "grade" is really just a tally, is this going to be possible?

Moreso yet.. how will I install these updates? I'm running 1.4.1 and well, I'm only running IT because teh newest version wouldn't work, so I downgraded (obliterated) and I'm not sure how I'll update these smaller parts, or wil I just cvs the entire thing?