Grading the discussion postings - in 1.9.5

Grading the discussion postings - in 1.9.5

by Allen Cole -
Number of replies: 9
Dear Generous List,

It seems to me that when I turn on "rating" for a discussion forum that opens up the ability for all students to "rate" this forum posting, as a sort of peer-grading or assessment. But what if I, as the instructor, just want to give a "rate/grade" (grade really) where and how would I do that. Is the only place to do that manually in the gradebook?

Also, it doesn't seem like the "rating" ends up in the gradebook - or is that determined by a specfic date - then goes into the gradebook?

thanks

Allen Cole
In reply to Allen Cole

Re: Grading the discussion postings - in 1.9.5

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Allen

Of course you cab rate a Forum as you are asking with Moodle 1.9.5

First of all you need to create a New Scale just for your Forum

(administration --> Grades --> Scales --> view click on 'Ad a new scale' )

once you've created your new scale, you set your ratings as follow:

in Grade [Aggregate type choose Avreage or what you want]
[ Grade Scale: your new scale ]

an that is it !!

You'll see you Forum like this:

Attachment rateforum.jpg
In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Rod Spears -
While it is true that you have the option to create a new grading scale for a forum, it is not a requirement.

After you select a choice for "Aggregate Type" you will see a list of grading scales that are available in the "Grades" drop down menu. Several options are available by default, including a flexible numeric grading scale from 0-100.

The numeric grading scale allows you to select any number value between 1-100. For example, if you select 10 for the grade it means you will be able to select a rating between 0-10 for each post.

When you select a grading scale, please keep in mind that a numeric grading scale is easier to work with when you plan to include these forums in a student's final grade.

Please refer to this link for an explanation of how the gradebook interprets a non-numeric grading scale when aggregating the grade for a student. It is a bit complicated. Click here to view the documentation.
In reply to Allen Cole

by Tiffany Morgan -
so you want teachers only to be able to rate forums, correct? You can turn off the rating capability for the student role at Rate posts mod/forum:rate

Good luck!
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Allen Cole -
Thanks - do you know if this rating - at some point (which point) - goes into the grade book?

Thank You!

Allen

by Allen Cole -
Thanks,

Can we set this at the course level - or even the specific discussion thread? If so, do you know where this is set?

Thanks!

Allen Cole

by Allen Cole -
I did find out about where to set the rating permissions - but still not sure about if and when the rating go into the gradebook - can you - or anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

Allen
In reply to Allen Cole

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Allen,

I can confirm that ratings are indeed added to the gradebook.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Allen Cole -
Thanks Helen - is this adding happening after a certain end date - if you have set-up dates?

they do not seem to automatically go in the gradebook.

thanks,

allen
In reply to Allen Cole

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Allen,
Can you please tell what exactly is missing - the column for forum grade, or grades themselves (assuming you have already rated your students in the forum).

Try to go to Cat and Items and click Edit icon for the forum grade item. What is you 'Grade display type' set to? Can you also check 'Grade display type' in Setting and My preferences tabs? I remeber that with new instals those sometimes are set to Default() (which causes missing grades), since the adminsitrator of the installation has to save the settings first.