Half points

Half points

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 15
One of my instructors wants to set up a quiz which awards half a point for each question. Is this possible? I've tried setting 0.5 in the possible grade fields, but it always seems to round up to 1, or down to 0.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: Half points

by Austin Robertson -
I actually ran into the same problem today. I have a teacher who wants to make questions worth 2.5. After setting the values in the grade fields, it gets rounded to 2 or 3.

Can anybody help us out?

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Richard
AFAIK you cannot have decimal points for question grades yet but it appears you may be able to in 2.0 (at least my development site allows me to have 0.5).

A work around would be (if all questions are worth 0.5) to make the value 1 then half the maximum grade as this will scale the total points to half.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Austin Robertson -
Thank you everyone. That is kind of what I figured. That cleared things up. Thanks!
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That's right.

The data types used to store grades in the database in Moodle 1.9 were a nasty mix of integer, floating-point and fixed number of decimal places.

In Moodle 2.0 (not released yet) I made it all consistent.

by Adma Lim -
AFAIK, the marks for each qns is calculated as

"100% / No. of questions" (Eg. 100% / 20 Qns = 5 Marks for each questions)
In reply to Adma Lim

by Marc Couture -

I am bumping up this older thread as I am experiencing the same issue in Moodle 2.8.5, is this normal?  0.5 is rounded down to 0, I can't sem to find a way to circumvent this problem.  Any insights on how to fix this, in a server setting perhaps?

In reply to Marc Couture

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How many decimal places are you displaying in grades? If you are using half marks, you probably need to make it more than zero.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marc Couture -

Hi Tim,

I'm using the default setting (2).  So, let's say for a given quiz question, Moodle displays 1,00 when I add a question from my bank, if I click on the pencil icon, type in 0,50 and press Enter on my keyboard, Moodle resets the point total to 0,00.  The same behavior occurs if I try putting in 1,50 or 1,75 for example, the result is rounded down to 1,00.

I'm also seeing this under version 2.8.8+.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You are not actually using commas are you?  Instead of periods?  Is that maybe the problem?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Marc Couture -

Our installation is in French.  I know that entering data with a period works: it also needs to work with commas.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Tim Hunt -

Which Moodle version? We have fixed most of the places you might enter 0,50, but some of those fixes are quite recent, and it is possible we have missed some. (Can you test on qa.moodle.net?)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marc Couture -

Hi Tim,

We are using version 2.8.5+ (20150505) in production and 2.8.8+ (20150924) on our test server.  Unfortunately, we are not ready to go to a more recent version - we upgraded from 2.6 to 2.8 over the summer and my users are still struggling with this version. wink

EDIT: I just tested this on one of the QA sites (http://school.demo.moodle.net/mod/quiz/edit.php?cmid=233), same problem when using French as the course's default language and attempting to modify points using commas.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Tim Hunt -

Ah, I am thinking of MDL-39195. Someone made a patch, but it was not quite right, and did not have any automated tests, and I have not had time to finish the work off.

However, hopefully it will get fixed soon-ish.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Same problem in Czech.  Depending on language numeric standard we have problems too. (Currently tested on qa.moodle.net)

Bohus