Importing a file to multiple courses

Importing a file to multiple courses

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 9
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a forum dedicated to 'Import' so here goes!

I was wondering if it's possible to import a file from one course and drop it into numerous courses. As this is dealing with the duplication of resources, I'm surprised that this function isn't already available.

This would make my life as an Admin much easier, as I could create one resource (say some tutor delivery notes on how to use Moodle) and then import that file into a selection of courses.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Importing a file to multiple courses

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Dan!

One way you could do this is to make the file a "site" file and then add it to the courses (the truth is, I am not sure how to do this!) Or you could create a course containing only the content you wanted to copy and then import it multiple times with the import function (I have actually done this).

We have also set up a series of links to tutorial resources as a block on the front page, not exactly in a course but available to all.

I hope some of that might have been useful or at least assist you in finding your own solution! smile

atw
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Leo Thiessen -
Hi Dan,

There are a couple of options:

A) If you want a duplicate resource use the Sharing Cart plugin (note: I personally have not actually tried this out yet)

B) If you want a shared resource use the MrCuteJr plugin (note: this is one I developed, so I'm probably a little biased toward it wink )

Maybe one of those will work for you? From what I've read, people have found the Sharing Cart plugin to work almost like a repository for them, where they put a shopping cart together, then pick out of the shopping cart the item they would like copied to their course - again, I haven't actually tried it, but sounds quite interesting & relevant to your need.

Cheers,
Leo Thiessen
http://bydistance.com/
In reply to Leo Thiessen

by Dan Jeffries -
Thanks for the suggestions!

Leo - i emailed you a while ago about issues with mrCute and it's still not working for me. Perhaps I'll email you again soon!

Shopping Cart is a good idea too, though it's not really what I'm after (in that I want to add a file to courses en mass), but I guess this just isn't possible!

Dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Ken Gibson -

Dan,

The best solution that I know of (for what you have listed) is to create a new "shared" folder in your course/files/backupdata folder using symbolic links.

Here are the steps:

1. Create a new folder in course/files/backupdata folder using unix symbolic links (search symbolic links in these forums - it allows you to essentially map a single common folder on the server to multiple "symbolic" folders).

2. You HAVE TO create it in the course/files/backupdata directory folder as Moodle backup/restore will NOT make copies of this folder upon backup/restoring.  If you place it in the course/files directory itself backup/restore can/will make copies of this upon course restore (bad thing).

3. The symbolic folder will need to be manually created after each new course is created in Moodle.

Pros - You can share a common file among XXX courses.  You don't break any moodle core code

Cons - These "shared" files will not be backed up during normal Moodle backup. They also wont be visible in the "new" course until the symbolic folder is created again.

Ken 

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Leo Thiessen -
Hey Dan, sorry to hear it's not working - I thought I'd emailed back - maybe I tried emailing back to automated email... After your email I realized I missed some uploading some files to csv - did u try it recently (files should all be there). Cheers, Leo (I'm on cell - plz excuse formatting & such)
In reply to Leo Thiessen

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi

Thanks for your support Leo and everyone else. smile

I have managed to make some more progress with MrCuteJR but have had an error again!

I will email you the details.

Thanks
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Leo Thiessen -
Hey Dan,

First try searching for just %%% to make sure you have things imported correctly. Then, if you get some results, try searching for anything that is 3 or more letters long, for example searching for atv will work, but searching for tv will not, if you want to search for tv, you can search for %tv%; sorry - this is a carry-over from previous code, maybe I'll take it out & allow searching for a single character for simplicity.

Cheers,
- Leo
In reply to Leo Thiessen

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi

I've tried the %%% and nothing comes up at all.

So frustrating because I know it's so close!

D
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Leo Thiessen -
Hello again, I just sent you an email - check your spam folder if you didn't get it! Regards, Leo.