Moodle not installing a new Activity Module

Moodle not installing a new Activity Module

by Martín Mutilva -
Number of replies: 16
Note: This is the first time I'm installing any Module in Moodle.

I've downloaded the module, unzipped it and copied it to /var/www/html/moodle/mod/

When I go to the Notifications page I don't see any messages regarding new installed Module (no "Continue" button either) and the Module haven't been installed of course.

What did I do wrong?
How can I find out if Moodle did a least try to install the Module? Are there any logs?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I've tried with two different Activity Modules and the same happend for both of them, so obviously I'm doing something wrong smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Mutilva

Re: Moodle not installing a new Activity Module

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I don't know if this will help (and I'm not sure of the technical terms) what has happened to me some times is:
I download a module called, for example: GREATADDON
And I unzip it on my computer
And I upload the module called GREATADDON to moodle as you did.
But it doesn't work.
Then I discover that inside the folder I uploaded called GREAT ADDON is another folder called GREATADDON that has all the module contents. So Moodle is not recognising the module.
When I upload the second, inner folder only that has the contents, then it works.

If that is not your case, then have a look in the moodle docs here for adding a module
Also - it is definitely an activity module you are trying to install and not a block?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Martín Mutilva -
Thanks Mary.

I'd already checked the folder nesting problem and it's ok, the module folder has a similar structure than other modules. And I'm sure they are Activity Modules.

I'll re-check that document you linked.

Regards,
Martín

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Martin

If it isn't what Mary says, then . . .

Sometimes happen that we upload a block in the modules place. I mean, that we need to be sure if pour target folder to upload is going to be ./moodle/blocks or ./moodle/mod

What's the name of your new activity module Martin?

sheers
Martin and Mary smile

In reply to Maryel Mendiola

by Martín Mutilva -
It's an "FLV Player plugin for Moodle".

It's documentation states it's an Activity Module and the folder structure indicates so (al least I think it does).

Once unzipped the folder name is just flv and it's url is this one:
http://code.google.com/p/moodle-flv-player/

According to the file <moodle_root>/mod/flv/db/install.xml it's supposed to create a table named flv which moodle hasn't created.

How can I check if moodle is at least trying to install it? Is there any log? (I've checked the logs in Site Administration > Reports > logs and it says nothing about module installation).

It the same with other Activity Module (mindmap) and also with a Block Module (Google_Text_Translate copied to blocks folder), so most probably it's me doing something wrong:

- any configuration that disables module installation?
- the site is not registered (I'm evaluating moodle and thus working locally), could that be the problem?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. If I have time tomorrow I will have a go at installing it to one of my Moodles and let you know how I get on. What version is your Moodle? I see the latest download is end of July so we are to presume it works for 1.9 although I see in the discussion some people have had issues - but not it seems with actual installation. I don't know how you can check if moodle is trying to install it but I can confirm that your not being registered or working locally shouldn't make any difference, and if you have access to a server there shouldn't be anything disabling module installation.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
OK - replying to myself (again) I am afraid and sorry but - I installed the flv player with no problems into a moodle 1.9.. (I haven't checked it works but all the tables came up and it appears in the add an activity menu) I am pretty sure you must have done it right from what you say but just to make 110 percent sure (then if it isn't you doing it wrong we can start to look elsewhere) look at this screencast and see if you installed it this way: (But I think you did)

Also - as a long long shot - if you go to the add an activity drop down menu, does the flv player appear anyway? (Like ,you blinked and missed the set up? smile )
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Martín Mutilva -
Thanks Mary,

I'm using moodle 1.9.5. I'd done exactly as the screencast shows (thanks), without the ftp transfer because everything is local in my case.

My architecture is the following:

- CentOS 5.3
- Apache 2.2.3 with PHP 5.1.6 support
- PostgreSQL 8.1.11

I'll check folder permissions just in case.
Who should be the owner of the module folders and what permissions should it have?

by Martín Mutilva -
(Response to myself)

Solved! The user:group owner for the module folders and subfiles/subfolders was apache:apache as I thought that the user running httpd service was apache. I chenged it to root:root and the modules where installed successfully.

Running some commands I found out that there was 1 httpd process being run by root and several more being run by apache.

I still don't know how the installation process managed to install the default modules being apache:apache their user:group owner.

Thanks for your time!

by Mary Cooch -
Ah!smile Thanks for posting back - it is always nice to know if and how someone resolves an issue.

by Maryel Mendiola -
Martin!

It's good to know that everything its OK now smile

Believe me . . . when our Moodlefairy appears, all comes to a happy end

Hugs Moodlefairy smile

Happy weekend

by marina rusakova -
Hi Martin!

I probably have the same problem that you described.

I am trying to install a plugin (I tried both block and assignment type), but the Notifications page is not affected.

The user running Apache is www-data, the owner of moodle_data directory is www-data, and the owner of other moodle directories is root.

Could you describe which directories owners you have on your installation, and what are the permissions, so that I could fix mine?

One more detail: my moodle_data directory is empty. I wonder if it should.

Thank you very much,
Marina
In reply to marina rusakova

by Doug Dillner, Ph.D. -

I am having the same difficulty installing "Moderated Enrollment" module. I am doing all the steps correctly, I think, any magic I am missing?

by KT Fav -

I am having this same problem on a Windows IIS server. Where do I find these permissions to fix this problem on Windows?

by chandrika harathi -

Tring to install the manual module on Oracle DB. After cloning the SQL and mysql.php to corresponding ocipo8.sql and ocipo8.php, I get the following message:

(oci8po): CREATE TABLE m_manual ( id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, course int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', name varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', summary text , timemodified int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (id), KEY course (course)) TYPE=MyISAM COMMENT='Defines manual'

907: ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis

ADOConnection._Execute(CREATE TABLE m_manual (  id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,  course int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',  name varch..., false) % line  775, file: adodb-oci8.inc.php
      ADODB_oci8.Execute(CREATE TABLE m_manual (  id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,  course int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',  name varch...) % line   89, file: dmllib.php
   execute_sql(CREATE TABLE m_manual (  id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,  course int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',  name varch...) % line  235, file: dmllib.php
modify_database(/apps/zend/apache2/moodle/mod/manual/db/oci8po.sql) % line  392, file: adminlib.php
upgrade_activity_modules(http://msutmoo01.umdnj.edu/admin/index.php) % line  433, file: index.php

Please advise.

by Jenny Watt -

Thought I'd post this in case anyone else was having issues and the other suggestions did not work. smile

I had a plugin I named siteAdmin (camelCase) and it would not see it. I renamed it to siteadmin (all lowercase) and it saw it. It's probably in documentation somewhere, but if anyone is Googling this, that worked for me!

Jenny

by Bevan Holman -
I also had the same issue, but I found that the language file was not named properly.

So I zipped it up and installed it through the uploader and Moodle's validation report helped diagnose the issues I had with it.