Blackboard Style Log Reports

Blackboard Style Log Reports

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 20

I was just talking to a friend and he mentioned that he really liked the way he can see a graphical representation in many different formats (weekly, content area, activitiy and so on) of all traffic to his course in Blackboard -- not just one student at a time. Moodle has this capability, too, doesn't it? I just do not how how to get to it, I think.

Right?

-- Art

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Blackboard Style Log Reports

by Bryan Williams -
Would this be what "Logs" offers?
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Art Lader -

Yes, but he tells me that he is able to view all traffic to his site as a variety of different graphs.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by eufredo manuel -
Yo instale Gismo y funciona bien, pero no puedo exportar a .Png ni .Xls, la version de moodle es la 1.6 XX .

alguien puede ayudarme, Please anybody helpme

In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
Hi Art and Bryan!

It would be nice for the Admin to have the option of a Graphical Display of the Logs

It would also be nice in this vein to have the option of statistical information regarding page views and tracking [if possible] in text and graphical view.

Annnnnd, of course it would be nice to have "printer-friendly" and "PDF" generated pages of all this. smile

These would probably be feature requests and need to be placed in the "Bug reports".

Did either of you get a chance to see what Zbigniew did with grades??  Check out,

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Art Lader -
> Did either of you get a chance to
> see what Zbigniew did with grades??  Check out,
Wow, that's great!
-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Bryan Williams -
This is really nice, hope it makes it into 1.5.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Christian Milani -

Hello guys!

Koen asked me to partecipate to this discussion (thx), i hope i can help!

In oxford i show to some of you my Graphical Interactive Student MOnitoring system. The big thing some of you didnt like was that i coded it with java (i like it ;) 
That day i saied that if someone has Flash plugin installed also has java plugin installed! With Windows/OsX is so easy to install them... with linux... if you don't know don't use it please smile

If someone of you want the paper i wrote in oxford can send me a mail at milanic@lu.unisi.ch just only saing GISMO. I dunno if i can publish it there, i'll ask my boss!

And also if someone of you want i can send you a link to a "test moodle" where gismo is implemented as a block with a link to the applet.

In reply to Christian Milani

by W Page -

Hi Christian!

Please post the link and share any information you can.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Christian Milani -

Here you can have an overview of the charts atm supported, i have lots of things to do but i'm implementing new charts (on quizzes, assignments, forum rates, ...) i only need more then 24 hour on each day ;)

http://www.istituti.usilu.net/milanic/web/GISMO.html

Lots of idea on my mind... and not so much time to realy implement them smile

Remember that i choosed java for the interactivity with the user (mouse events, keyboard events). You can right click on every 'point'/'bar histogram'/'student list'/'group list'/'resource list' and you have some options (select,deselect, details, ...)

The idea is: I show you everything, and the user choose what he wanna see! No algorithms, human brain!

Surely someone of you will say: "it gives only more questions and not answers".
I can say NO, you need to know who's behind the username... all these visualisations can help, but they aren't standalone. If someone want to speak about this problem, i don't think this is the right place.

CYA!!!

by W Page -
Hi Christian!
Outta sight!!
Have you already incorporated this GISMO into Moodle??
WP1
In reply to W Page

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I had the enormous pleasure of meeting up with Christian at the excellent Oxford meet. He gave an fascinating presentation on the tool he has created, and with an accent that just added to the sophistication of the graphical polish.

Since then my own moodle site has gone live and I was intending to say hello again to find out more about his brilliant looking tool. It struck me at the time that Java was a good choice of technology for this, not least because it was aimed at the web/moodle master and thus reasonable assumptions could be made about the environment i.e. they would be willing to obtain a reasonable recent version od Java.

OH and by the way if you get a chance to go to any moodle conferences do whatever you can to go because whatever the virtues of "virtual meetings" there is no substitute for meeting people "in the flesh". And of course an enormous and very late thank you to Sean for arranging the Oxford meet.
In reply to Marcus Green

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I can only agree with all your thoughts here, Marcus.
Oxford was a great Moot, I enjoy reading the discussions of people I've met there (others too of course): it always brings me back to that day.
The collaborating with elektronic discussionboards is a great improvement, but there goes nothing above meeting people in real live and drinking a beer together (although you have to drink fast in England big grin )
In reply to koen roggemans

by Christian Milani -

Thx guys!

here you can try the tool, if at someone of you don't work i'm interested to know why! Please contact me directly at christian.milani@lu.unisi.ch i'll ask you some questions. Probably it's a localization problem... language problem.

You need at least jre1.4 (java plugin 1.4)  installed, with 1.3 it should work too.
atm i disabled the popup that ask's you  to install java plugins if you don't have them (only windows), you can get them at www.java.com there is a link to install them directly: GET IT NOW, for linux users... i hope you know how to do that. Or you can download them from here: http://vmelab01.usilu.net/test/jre.exe 

http://vmelab01.usilu.net/moodle/course/view.php?id=3

user test
pass test

course: test2
There aren't lots of log in this test... so its not realy usefull.
Some histogram bar is too big... 
I have some real course logs that shows realy good how it works, but i cant show you them.

Tested and works under
windows: firefox,ie,netscape
linux: netscape,firefox,mozilla
mac: safari

It don't work under:
mac: omniweb, firefox
I'm studying it.

For any questions I'm here!
I hope someone of you like it!

by Julian Ridden -

This is fantatsic work. Are you planning on making this available to the community at all?

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Cory B -
Yes... please share the source code if you can... smile
In reply to Cory B

by Christian Milani -

Hello!

sorry for my late answer!

i had many troubles...

you can find the sourcecode of the module in sourceforge http://gismo.sourceforge.net/

i hope asap to release the new version, it's 4 month i plan it but i dont have the time to finish it...

attached to the email i give you the files to make gismo work on 1.5.x

to see a demo of the last version just write me at christian.milani@lu.unisi.ch i'll send you the link to a new course.

by Just H -
Hello Christian

It seemed to set up properly but when I try and launch it (from the "Student Tracking" link in the block) it seems to have a problem with the url:

"The requested URL /blocks/gismo/applet.php was not found on this server."

When I call applet.php direct it says it's downloading but when it ends it leaves a blank screen with an "exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"

Have had a look in the php files but have no idea what I'm looking at to be honest mixed

Appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Regards
Harry

PS Tried it in Firefox and IE, running 1.52+, PHP 4.4 and Apache 1.3.33 (Unix)
In reply to Just H

by Just H -
For anyone else hitting a problem - This is not really a Gismo issue, with the excellent help of Christian eventually figured out that the issue was I had it on the home page where it doesn't actually work (small fledging site so I "thought" there would be more data there to analyse and a better test). Once I added it to a real course works a treat.

My public thanks to Christian for coding it in the first place and for helping me track down the "issue" smile

by Julian Ridden -
Many thanks for ppsting the code and links. I will try and get thios installed and provide a link.

by Tony Beld -

This tool is great. I installed the 1.5x version yesterday and think it's a great tool.

If anyone has issues with installation (when you load the admin page the block isn't installed automatically and receive a bunch of PHP code) one thing to check is if PHP info says the <?=<?PHP.

I couldn't get this to run on our server- apache/unix 1.3.33, PHP 4.4.2, Moodle 1.5.3, MySQL 3.23.58, without finding and replacing all <? to <?PHP. Or, conversely, if you are the server admin you can set <?=<?PHP. I'm not sure how common our setting of <? not equivalent to <?PHP.

Maybe someday this might help somebody, maybe not... 

Stupid question... how do I find "total time at Moodle" for a given student?