QuizPort not allowing user to choose correct JQuiz MC answer after trying all other possible answers

QuizPort not allowing user to choose correct JQuiz MC answer after trying all other possible answers

by Jim Ranalli -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Gordon,

While doing some piloting with a student, I discovered that in a JQuiz multiple choice question, if the student chooses every incorrect answer first before selecting the correct one, QuizPort will start to advance, possibly not giving them time to ultimately select the correct one.

Is this a configurable setting? I ask because 1) the default prompt in JQuiz in that situation is "Sorry. Try again." and students might be confused if the quiz proceeds before they've had a chance to give the correct response; and 2) in the awareness-raising tasks I'm creating, often the correct answer is the most surprising and counterintuitive response in the group, and so often it IS the last answer they select, and I think it's important cognitively that they actually have a chance to click on it after exhausting all other possibilities. In addition, these questions are followed by video tutorials which assume they have indeed finally arrived at the correct answer (e.g. by saying "Good job" etc.)

Thanks,

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Ranalli

Re: QuizPort not allowing user to choose correct JQuiz MC answer after trying all other possible answers

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jim,
I think this is just the way JQuiz works. It is not a behavior that QuizPort modifies or adds.

I think the reasoning behind it is that if there's only one answer left and that is the one and only correct answer then the student has found the answer and the question can be marked as completed.

What do you mean by "QuizPort will start to advance"? If you have only one question in your JQuiz then perhaps you mean that QuizPort sends the results back to Moodle and displays the next question. Perhaps you could experiment with the "delay 3" setting for the quiz. What happens if you set it to "wait till student clicks OK" or set it to s fixed time limit of 2 seconds or whatever?

Could I possibly have a look at the quiz?
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: QuizPort not allowing user to choose correct JQuiz MC answer after trying all other possible answers

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Jim,
I had a look at the Javascript that controls the behavior of a JQuiz.

The javascript function is:
  • function CheckMCAnswer(QNum, ANum, Btn){
It contains the following lines of code:
  • //Check whether this leaves just one MC answer unselected, in which case the Q is terminated
    var RemainingAnswer = FinalAnswer(QNum);
    if (RemainingAnswer > -1){
    //Behave as if the last answer had been selected, but give no credit for it
    //Increment the number of tries
    State[QNum][2]++;

//Calculate the score for this question
    CalculateMCQuestionScore(QNum);

//Get the overall score and add it to the feedback
    CalculateOverallScore();
    if ((ContinuousScoring == true)||(Finished == true)){
    Feedback += '<br />' + YourScoreIs + ' ' + Score + '%.';
    WriteToInstructions(YourScoreIs + ' ' + Score + '%.');
    }
    }
You may be able to disable the detection of one remaining answer if you try the following:
  • in the html version of the quiz ...
  • change this
    if (RemainingAnswer > -1){
  • to this
    if (false && RemainingAnswer > -1){
HTH smile
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jim Ranalli -
Thanks again, Gordon.

I'll send you the link to the quiz in a separate email.

Jim