Exporting Moodle quiz to other VLEs

Exporting Moodle quiz to other VLEs

by Gavin Innes -
Number of replies: 11
Hi all

I would like to know if it is possible to export a Moodle quiz to another VLE (Blackboard or WebCT for example.) In addition, I would like to include question feedback and images.

I have tried a test quiz in all four Moodle export formats but with no luck so far.

Any advice greatly recieved!

Thanks
Gavin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gavin Innes

Re: Exporting Moodle quiz to other VLEs

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Gavin,

What you want to do is not feasible, to the best of my knowledge. Any VLE which is anxious to win over users from other, rival VLEs, will provide a maximum of import features from those other VLEs. There are a number of such import facilities in Moodle at the moment. But it is pretty obvious that no VLE has an interest in providing export features.

In other words, if you are a Blackboard user and want to import your Moodle-authored quizzes into BB, then you should ask the BB people to provide a Moodle->Blackboard import feature.wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gavin Innes -
Hi Joseph.

Thanks for the info, might have to do it the old fashioned way and re-create the quizes on the other VLEs!

Gavin
In reply to Gavin Innes

by Bob Boufford -
Hi Gavin,

In the past, I've exported as GIFT, open in Word to reformat the file into the Respondus Standard Format for Import and then import the text file into Respondus for publishing to other LMS/VLEs. (Primarily Blackboard and WebCT but they also support Angel, D2L, eCollege and IMS QTI 1.2)

If your institution has access to the “campus-wide” version of Respondus 4.0 (currently in beta), you can “retrieve” assessments directly from Moodle 1.9+ and publish them to all of the other supported LMS/VLEs. From what I understand from the vendor, the final release of Respondus 4.0 is due out any week, at which time Respondus 4.0 will be available to single-user licensors of Respondus.

Bob
In reply to Bob Boufford

by Gavin Innes -
Thanks Bob, this does seem to be the only option. I have downloaded the demo version of Respondus and it looks like it would work, but without other VLEs to test the output on I will have to put some trust into the package. But, it isn't too expensive I suppose. I will watch out for v4. Thanks

Gavin
In reply to Gavin Innes

by Bob Boufford -
Hi Gavin,

I teach in both Blackboard (WebCT) Vista and Blackboard LS "Classic" along with some courses in Moodle. Being able to move quizzes/tests between WebCT and Blackboard with Respondus has been a real time saver. I'm also looking forward to Respondus 4.0 so I can move questions between all three systems.

Bob
In reply to Gavin Innes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If anyone wants this badly enough it is perfectly possible for them to make (or commission) more export format plugins.

However, in the past, people seem to have been more interested in making importers so they can get their questions into Moodle wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gavin Innes

by Randy Duckett -
(disclaimer: I am not a "bb people")

However, I realize that sometimes the best way to be able to sort of slowly begin nudging people towards alternatives to expensive VLE (ie: blackboard) is by having functionality that looks good, that will go both directions -- if you say "hey yeah it'll work if you just drop the contract at renewal time and install this program and click import, there's probably good reason for skepticism.

Having a utility that exports the quizzes to blackboard as a proof of concept is a good thing (i think) "hey boss, I just wrote a quiz, now watch, i can click here and export. And click and download. And click here and convert it to something respondus can import. Now see...the same quiz works -- no magic trickery here boss"

(That goes over a lot of heads in the real world, however imagine the first example "don't renew that vle contract and put blind faith that the import functionality will work flawlessly and your fledgling IT guys new to this learning environment will have spare time not tied into retraining all the users who have spent the last 10 years resisting the current system to iron out the kinks" -- anyways, lemme get my first official moodle.org post back on topic!

I've started writing a personal project conversion utility yesterday to take my quizzes from a moodle site and export them into a plain-text format that blackboard's respondus can read.

Right now it supports multiple choice questions only for the GIFT export function of moodle, and relies on a 3rd party freeware utility as the 2nd part of a 4 part process (export, convert, parse, import) however if there's real interest I was sorta tempted to add true/false conversions and maybe even feedback on answer functionality (I'll try to get a good peak at how this aspect of blackboard works)

I realize posting this without a link doesn't help much, however, I'll try to get a link posted soon.

Basically it's just a simple parser written in vb (eegads) that would go through the file and export something like this:

// question: 283 name: Adaptive Defense - Characteristics
::Adaptive Defense - Characteristics::[html]Which of the following roles best reflect the nature of the adaptive defense system?{
~specificity
~systemic presence
~memory
=all of the above
}

into something like this:

Title: Adaptive Defense - Characteristics

1) Which of the following roles best reflect the nature of the adaptive defense system?

a. specificity
b. systemic presence
c. memory
*d. all of the above

which at least for blackboard would work. It does work, there is a lot to iron out, and it is in vb so it's not exactly wonderfully cross compliant, however I'll try to get a link up if there's any interest in such a utility.

In reply to Randy Duckett

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Such a utility would be useful to have.

If it was me, I would use either a Moodle backup (which is XML inside a zip file) or the Moodle XML export, rather than GIFT. Both of those two formats contain slightly more information that GIFT.

Also, if it was me, I would certainly not use VB! wink
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Randy Duckett -
owch. but if you had to choose between vb and mapblast to program & deliver gps directions to a piece of paper (we'll assume car gps works slightly better than either) and there were pit vipers to the east, a cliff to the west, a nice narrow road straight to your destination north and a wall to your south....which would be more painful?
(sorry a touch off topic.)
dead

Re: Exporting Moodle quiz to other VLEs w/ utility links

by Randy Duckett -
Okay quick rundown of it all.

1) need to export moodle quiz as GIFT format
2) only supports multiple choice a-e (or such, maybe a-f)? atm
3) after export file, must convert to friendly dos format using unix2dos or similar utility to strip out control codes
4) after this use moodle2blackboard utility to reparse files.
5) manually select all and copy to notepad.
\
if file is not converted to friendly dos format, an error code will kick up and it will attempt to parse the improperly formatted file after 2 okay dialogues.
\
I'll consider bringing this down to 3 steps with addition of additional code and expanding features (exporting true false, multiple choice through t etc) eventually.

i have a longer ramble on it/this endeavour on my site.

Re: Exporting Moodle quiz to other VLEs w/ utility links

by Bob Boufford -
Randy,

First to clarify on a comment in a previous reply ("blackboard's respondus can read"). Respondus is not owned by Blackboard. It's an independent company that works with not only Blackboard but also Moodle, Desire2Learn and eCollege along with WebCT and Angel (before they got absorbed by Bb). Respondus also supports IMS QTI 1.2 that allows for import into QuestionMark Perception, Sakai and other systems that support IMS QTI import.

As a quick rundown with Respondus 4.0:

1. Retrieve questions from a Moodle course (any and all of the seven major question types: MC, MR, TF, SA, ES, MT, DE, CA).

2. Change to another LMS personality (Bb, WebCT, Angel, D2L, IMS, eCollege).

3. Publish test to the new LMS.

You can also reverse the three steps to go from another LMS to Moodle.