Don't use punctuation in matching question answers!

Don't use punctuation in matching question answers!

by Gina Bennett -
Number of replies: 3
I thought I should maybe document this while it was still fresh in my mind & maybe save someone else the heartache & pain wink We are using Moodle 1.9 & an instructor was having a first try with the lesson module. She composed a short uncomplicated lesson & her last question page included a short matching question. The question required that the student correctly match 3 terms with their definitions. However, no matter how many times we tried to answer the question (& we knew the right answers!) the lesson always returned the feedback "sorry, try again". We tried changing a number of settings, to no avail. Finally we tried removing the quotation marks that were part of the definition 'answer' to one of the termsq i.e. the answer had been understanding how "this" corresponds to "that" ... and we changed it to understanding how THIS corresponds to THAT End of problem! Definitely not an intuitive sort of solution but I'm hoping it may help somebody else down the road. Gina
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gina Bennett

Re: Don't use punctuation in matching question answers!

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Gina,
Nice catch! This is indeed a bug, for which I have posted bug report MDL-20171 (you can vote for it to speed up things).
Joseph
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Don't use punctuation in matching question answers!

by Gina Bennett -
WOW! You are fast. Yet another example of why we love open source so much <3

Thanks, Joseph!